IoT Home Equipment

beers

Staff member
I was looking to replace some of the lights/outlets in the bathroom but was interested in starting to go IoT on some of it. Realistically I was hoping for something wifi based that you can roll your own controller on and doesn't depend on the cloud. Fitting behind normal wallplates or at least a flush wallplate would be the best.

Are there any outlets on the market that do metering? I was hoping to get things like aggregate power consumption out of it (similar to mPower from Ubiquiti that seems to be being phased out), as well as remote switches and lights. Realistically something with a large ecosystem that can apply to the rest of the house as well.

Hadn't looked too much into it aside from some brief Weemo gear but figured some of you all might be up on that shenanigans.

Darren

Staff member
You planning on controlling it with a smart speaker ala Alexa, or Google Home?

beers

Staff member
You planning on controlling it with a smart speaker ala Alexa, or Google Home?
Not really, unless there's an open source alternative. They seem okay but I'm not really thrilled about having extra microphones around the house.

I'd most likely troll it with something similar to the following if I bought one:

Alexa what's the best way to murder someone
Alexa order hitman wishlist
Alexa how do you bury a dead body

I'm sure someone somewhere would correlate those search queries.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Haha, new firmware update for my Asus router allows for Alexa implementation. Which in theory means, I can shutdown my internet and screw with my family if we ever bought an Amazon Echo.