ipconfig.exe???

don23255

Just had zonealarm alert telling me ipconfig.exe is trying to access internet. Is this ok and should I allow access?

Hellbreather

I wouldn't ipconfig.exe tells you and someone else who can access it on your computer to find out your ip address unless a program or you wanted to use it keep blocking it

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Except IPconfig only tells the local system the localled echoed IP. Ipconfig is perfectly fine -- if anything you should be concerned about what is calling ipconfig.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Possibly but it could be anything really .. not many common firewalls give you process-level control so you can track down what applications are launching what other applications.

Of course if yer behind a router, go ahead and let it access. Even if yer not and this is a hostile access attemp, ipconfig isnt the problem -- its the problem calling IPConfig. Ipconfig is not going to "transmit your ip" -- another program will do that (if at all), so block THAT program.

Hellbreather

If it's a program you have just installed or are expecting to ask for access then accept I think you should accept all time. Except if it's asking for an outside user to access ipconfig

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Except if it's asking for an outside user to access ipconfig
Unless you have a pretty neato setup (at which point you wouldnt be asking), outside users dont have access to ipconfig except via a trojan or something (and there are easier ways of doing this).