is getting sata hdd worth it?

tboski123

ok, in my never ending pursuit to upgrade, here is another question and this will apply to mostly gaming apps. i have pata hdd now(8mb 7200rpm). what would be the best thing for me to do? here are a couple of options i was thinking about:

1. 2 36gb 10,000rpm raptors sata raid 0
2. 1 74gb 10,000rpm raptor sata
3. 1 or 2 ?gb 7200 8mb pata
my setup will be an asus a8v deluxe and amd 64 3500+.
i definatlely like the sata concept especially with the smaller cable hookup. also, do all sata drives get set to master since they are one seperate "channels"?

Last edited:

kof2000

theres no jumpers to set with sata drives. they each have their own channels. if you want to best then go with 2x 74gb raptor raid

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
As for myself I dunno about the whole raid 0 being any benifit for gaming purposes.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
LOL! tboski123, you took that awfully personal didn't you?

Hmmmm lets see, I really dont know why to be completly honest with you... I was just shareing my doubts on the subject is all... After reading all these reviews saying how good Raid 0 is for gameing I would suggest it is but on the other hand other articles planting doubt tells me to do the smart thing and research it more before I spend my hard earned money.

If your wondering where I may have seen such an article suggesting that Raid 0 has little to no benifit for gameing would be this months Maximum PC where they themselfs where SHOCKED to learn that themselfs... they also mention that there is more info that can be found at www.anandtech.com and also www.storagereview.com although I've not yet looked for myself.

Anyhow It was just me shareing what i've recently read and that I now had doubts and there's really no need for thise thread to get ugly ;-).

Just found this.. Now when I said I read it in the magazine I really did but I also found this so I'm sharing. http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=56095

Last edited:

tboski123

thank you for a straight answer and info to back it up. there are some smart guys on this forum, but they get stuck leaving me with open ended answers or answering my question with another question. you would think this was philosophy 101 lol, though i do appreciate the non-bias opinions of some of these guys.

tboski123

one more thing, for my "purposes", if i just get a sata drive, should i get a single raptor or something in the 7200 range. thanks!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
If you have the cash and speed is your quest then the rapter drive would be a good drive to go with.