Is HP Good?

rhinoman08

Hey guys, im new to this site and it looks tight. I was wondering if HP is really a good computer company for gaming for the $ or in general. Would really like if u could respond to this if u have HP or u know of it!!! :confused:

Thanks

Echo_

before anyone says anyhting...

yoru better building your own computer or gettin a shop to do it for you

4W4K3

VIP Member
rhinoman08 said:
i know its cheaper and everything but really WHY?

well,(comparing a tuned and overclocked computer to a budget manufactured computer from HP), you might notice like a 50%+ gain in performance and speed.

manufactured computers (at least budget ones) are generally locked down, slow, unaccessible in BIOS, cut down in performance, and resort to the cheapest type of hardware that you specify.

but this is an extremely biased opinion. if you don't want optimal performance, and don't mind all the advertising built-in to your computer, then a manufactured computer might be for you. most gamers will do fine on an overpriced Dell machine, or if you are into older games a cheaper computer will suit you jsut fine.

just most people prefer a custom computer, that they can learn with and get the most out of. it really is fun, and beneficial to your education. its become a hobby for me, and something i look forward to now rather than dread (i used to hate working on my PC for fear of frying it.)

rhinoman08

i mean if u get a good graphics card and good ram ur games should run good wheather or not u have a custom or manufactured pc right? :D

Yeti

VIP Member
i mean if u get a good graphics card and good ram ur games should run good wheather or not u have a custom or manufactured pc right?
Generally yes, but you'll also be paying a premium price for gaming components on a prebuilt rig. You'll also be limited in what modding and OCing you can do. When building your own you know exactly what parts are going into it and exactly what quality they are.

Bobo

banned
They make you pay for it to say "HP" on it. I have an HP, and they are good computers, but you can't OC or do anything to them inside, or they go BOOM!
But I still think HP is the best printer maker.....always have

lilm3boi

4W4K3 said:
but this is an extremely biased opinion. if you don't want optimal performance, and don't mind all the advertising built-in to your computer, then a manufactured computer might be for you. most gamers will do fine on an overpriced Dell machine, or if you are into older games a cheaper computer will suit you jsut fine.

just most people prefer a custom computer, that they can learn with and get the most out of. it really is fun, and beneficial to your education. its become a hobby for me, and something i look forward to now rather than dread (i used to hate working on my PC for fear of frying it.)
How is Dell overpriced? I just built a 8400 on their website with 1gb ram at 533mh, a 250gb hd, 16x dvd rom, 16dvd burner double layer write, 6800gt, audigy 2 zs, 3.6 intel processor, and a 19 inch crt. All for 2 grand. That can give any custom built a run for its money in a price comparison. Also if Dell is running good deals, you can even get that to around 1800. Just go to google and type in dell coupons.

runbird05

I initially thought that you could save a ton of money building your own PC, but from what I've been looking at the amount of savings isn't phenomonal. As mentioned above, if you can catch a sale you'll do pretty good in a price comparison to a custom built PC, but I think the real gain is the ability to overclock and have higher quality parts in general.

I'm still new to this stuff, but I've been learning because I plan on building my PC to take to college as opposed to buying one this summer, and I'm looking forward to doing it.

But, if you don't care about all of the extra stuff like overclocking, I'm using a Dell 4700 right now with a 3Ghz P4, 1 Gig RAM, and an X600pro, and I'm able to play anything (Farcry, Half-life 2) at more than acceptable quality and frame rates.

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
mmm...if i can save $50 doing it myself thast more than enough saved cash. plus i get a cool case that i cna pick, the brand hardware i want, LED's and lights or a sleek smooth looking design. customization is the big #1 for me besides price/performance.