Is it 32gb time yet?

Papyrus

OK probably over thinking this. Is 16gb still more than enough?

I've noticed that nearly all DDR5 kits now are 32gb. Should I bother?

I already have 32gb in one PC. It's only the one more I am considering buying a bigger kit for..

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All you need to do it check your ram usage using task manager when you are doing the most demanding thing on the pc. If you are using more than 80-85 percent, it may be time to get more ram. For most people, 32gb is a waste of money.

Intel_man

VIP Member
There are a lot of benefits to running 32GB of ram for newer games that have been released in the past couple of years.

16GB is what I would say is the minimum I would recommend people to spec their PC's with these days. 32GB is what I would recommend to those who do more than just web browsing and basic MS Office (or other equivalent products) tasks.

beers

Staff member
You might as well when it's $100 or so for a 32g ddr5 kit, wasn’t sure from the verbiage of your post but please don’t try to put ddr5 in a ddr4 system.

I usually try to stay a little ahead of the curve, my system from 10 years ago had 16g so it’s an outdated amount personally, although I do a lot more than the average user.

Couriant

IMO the answer is, it depends. It depends on your intended use of the machine. If it's for mundane, non high-resource hungry apps, then 16GB would be enough. If you are looking to do some (newer) gaming, or maybe video editing / streaming then getting more RAM would be worth it.

I agree with johnb35... 32GB for most normal users is overkill/waste of money.