WIndows 10 Is it a power supply issue?

novicegeek

Greetings all,

I'm having a problem with my computer not turning off completely. When I turn it off (through the Windows button), the fans, and a few other components (one multi-function panel, a temperature gauge, and the front LED lights) stay on. All the RGB lighting (including fan lighting) turns off, but the fans keep right on going.

I've tried disabling fast startup, updating the BIOS, rolling back the Intel Management Engine Interface, but all with no luck.

So, I'm wondering if this may be connected to a malfunctioning of the PSU. About four months ago or so, we had lightning strike near our house. It killed two Tripp-Lite UPSs, which they graciously replaced for free (as well as sent me other stuff, at no charge), and it took out the motherboard in my computer, our router, freezer, and tripped some breakers. The PSU (a Corsair RM650) tested fine after the incident, but I wonder if it may have sustained some damage that has only manifested itself in the last few months.

Would a faulty or failing power supply unit cause such an issue?

Thanks.

P.S. The first pic is one where the computer is on, the second it is off, but temp gauge and such is on, and the fans are running. The only way to turn it off is the switch in the back of the PSU.

Attachments

• IMG_2887.JPG
    IMG_2887.JPG
    560.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2886.JPG
    IMG_2886.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 5
There's a few possibilities so I'm throwing a couple of darts at this one to see what might stick
Double check your power management settings under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings and make sure the power button is set to shut down
You don't happen to have an asus motherboard by chance do you? I've heard of a few problems regarding users being able to shut down with those
Not sure if there's a consistant fix but I've heard uninstalling the Intel Management Engine had some success
Unfortunately some users also reported the power supply was the culprit so that's entirely possible
Either way, something is clearly feeding power to your components after shutdown
Also try updating your gpu drivers if you havn't already, a corrupted driver has also been known to cause issues like that
What fans are on while it's supposed to be off, the CPU and intake fans? On the pic in the right the exhaust fan looks to be off

OH and it's unusual but check your display port cable if you have one to see if that's the culprit, those have been known to cause issues with partial shutdowns too
Apparently it's something to do with their way of feeding power to the board

novicegeek

revolution,

Thank you for some options to check into. The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 Pro, by the way. I've attached a snip of my power settings as they have been set.

Just out of curiosity, does the computer reinstall the Intel Management Engine after a reboot?

I will follow your other suggestions and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Power button.PNG
    Power button.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 1
Just out of curiosity, does the computer reinstall the Intel Management Engine after a reboot?
Possibly, by default windows updates any drivers it finds an update for though I'm not sure if intel management is part of that
Updates can be disabled but I would only do so temporarily if it came to that

novicegeek

There's a few possibilities so I'm throwing a couple of darts at this one to see what might stick
Double check your power management settings under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings and make sure the power button is set to shut down
You don't happen to have an asus motherboard by chance do you? I've heard of a few problems regarding users being able to shut down with those
Not sure if there's a consistant fix but I've heard uninstalling the Intel Management Engine had some success
Unfortunately some users also reported the power supply was the culprit so that's entirely possible
Either way, something is clearly feeding power to your components after shutdown
Also try updating your gpu drivers if you havn't already, a corrupted driver has also been known to cause issues like that
What fans are on while it's supposed to be off, the CPU and intake fans? On the pic in the right the exhaust fan looks to be off
Sorry, I forgot to answer your 2nd question. I have two intake fans on the front, two fans in the rear (one a turbine fan underneath the GPU), a CPU fan, and one fan on the side window. Aside from the turbine fan, which I have forgotten to check, because it's in the back, all fan continue to run for the exception of the fan on the side. It is a straight molex (I believe 2-pin) fan.

I have tried all of your suggestions for the exception of uninstalling the Intel Management Engine Interface and swapping out the display port cable. I have another cable, but is the VGA type, not the DVI-D sort that is presently running through the video card.

So far, no success. I've submitted a ticket with Corsair to see if they can shed light on anything.

Thanks again for the help. We're getting it narrowed down anyway.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I think the psu isn't getting the signal to turn off. Check to make sure the power connectors are securely fastened. I would try a second psu if you can find one cheap enough at least to test.

novicegeek

You know, I've got some old PSUs in some other computers lying around. I'll have to check compatibility, but it will probably be next weekend before I can get to it (work, ya know).

Thanks, John.