Is it good to.....

Fankango

Is it good to leave the screen on with not screen saver. I have heard if you do that then it can freeze that way and i will need a new monitor. :confused:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Old monitors in the 80's used to leave a phosphorus burn (burn-in) when a still image was constantly displayed for a long period of time. Todays monitors are much more advanced and screen savers are basically for entertainment purposes.

I do recommend turning off your monitor when you are away from your computer for a long time. Your monitor consumes more power than your computer. And saving power is always a good thing. You can set your computer to automatically turn off your monitor and even the hard disks by going to the display properties then the screen saver tab and then monitor power options.

hbalagh

SFR said:
Your monitor consumes more power than your computer.
That is actually something i didn't know i turn it off at night but not during the day when i'm gone i just let the ss come one

ZER0X

VIP Member
LCD's are actually better on power consumption...LCD's are around 25-50 Watts and the CRT Monitors consume around 60-80 Watts. And it also depends on the size of the screen aswell....CRT Monitors 17"-19" 70 - 150 watts :eek:

Mafesto

so much for advances of tech lol... im not 100% sure of it. but I think the plasma's, and LCD's will "burn in" if an image is left on them for long enough... it happens at the stores that paste their logo's on the monitors and tv's. as far as normal people.... dont think you'll run into burn in... maybe if you play a game with a HUD or a tv station with its logo on the corner all the time. other wise.. pretty safe I do believe.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I had a monitor with the windows taskbar burned into it...
Instead of a screen-saver I recommend to put 20 minutes at "Turn off monitor:" setting in Power options. But don't set it to turn off hard disks, since a hdd lifetime decreases more by on-off cycles than by actual working hours.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Lorand said:
But don't set it to turn off hard disks, since a hdd lifetime decreases more by on-off cycles than by actual working hours.

Very good point!

I always say that leaving your computer on all the time is less harmful that constantly turning it on and off.... makes sense that the same should be applied to the hard drive.