Is it normal for a speedtest to be "jerky" when it's running?

JohnJSal

Hi all. I've noticed today that when I run a speedtest on Ookla, the download portion is kind of jerky, meaning every second or so it freezes or halts somewhat, even though it's still going. It's not as smooth as I've seen it in the past.

Is that an indication of anything?

Here's a video I took of it. You can see during the download test that every second or so it freezes for a bit: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MJbwLVCuvotyHbH78

beers

Staff member
What's your browser CPU look like during that? Seems more of a CPU hang that you can observe with the latency value jumping up when it resumes. The app from the MS Store is a little more consistent.

JohnJSal

What's your browser CPU look like during that? Seems more of a CPU hang that you can observe with the latency value jumping up when it resumes. The app from the MS Store is a little more consistent.
I'll have to check that later, because right now it's not doing it, but it's also a lot lower speed (around 60 Mbps, maybe because of congestion on a Saturday night). Do I just have my Task Manager open to test it?

Also, for what it's worth, earlier when I was doing a speed test and it was being "jerky," I also opened up another program and that program was being very laggy too. I don't usually do anything else when doing a speed test, but the few times I have, I haven't noticed it do that before.

JohnJSal

During a download test I just did, Chrome was shown using about 30% of the CPU (in Task Manager). Is that where I need to look? Is that normal?

beers

Staff member
Since you had other choppy behavior it seems more like a resource contention issue than an application or connectivity one. It's always going to use some CPU to generate traffic.

I observed some lame electronics behavior over the weekend, seemed like things were just a little bit off and not working right. Solar flare? Who knows.