Is it possible to update vista home premium to windows 10?

ocean

I have an old computer that has vista home premium service pack 2 64 and I would like to use it for some gaming or something. Is there a way to update this computer to windows 10?

I tried grabbing a copy of the windows 7 home premium but it would not take the product key that i have. What do I need to do to get this thing upgraded.

I appreciate it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you list your system specs first? Like what cpu it has and how much memory is installed. Without decent specs, windows 10 is gonna run pretty crappy on a vista machine. You can't just upgrade, you would have to do a fresh install. Is it a custom built machine or did you buy it at a store?

ocean

intel core 2 duo 2.8 ghz
3 gb ram
64 bit
250 gb hd
bought it

If i upgraded this memory is it possible to get win 10 going on this. I hate just chucking this comp out. is it worth even messing with?

thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a model number of pc? I assuming its like a dell, HP or similar? You really need to get to 8gb of memory and install an SSD to get good performance. That 250gb hard drive is gonna be slow as its an old style. So by the time you buy windows 10, an SSD and upgrade ram, you already spending a couple hundred bucks. Not really worth it for such an old system.

beers

Staff member
To be honest it's not really worth anything, that is going to suck for gaming. Even a fully decked out 775 system is going to be way low end for any degree of modern titles.

Not really advisable unless you wanted more of a retro gaming system based around an older OS.

The option with the highest financial advantage is donating it as a tax write-off.

ocean

yeah, i am wanting this for retro emulators.

But I am worried about putting this thing online with such an older OS. I didnt really want to spend anything on it or I would just buy a new one but i wanted to update the OS. Is there a way to update this thing for free with out having to buy another license?

Pretty sure its a inspiron 537.

thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, you can't update to 10 for free from Vista, can only go from windows 7 or 8 to 10 for free.

ocean

but am I able to update from vista to 7 then to 10?

I went and tried to download windows 7 but it would not take the product key. Im I doing something stupidly wrong?