is it the motherboard?

mikelx21

For some reason whenever I open up my case to make some adjustments (with wiring arrangements for a cleaner look) my system does not act right. I make sure that the wires are all plugged in when I'm done. When I boot my computer up, it gets to the windows login screen, but then once I type in my password, my monitor doesnt respond anymore. Then I wait a few secs then turn the comp back on. Now windows loads after I type in my password but it randomly shuts off (my monitor is still on but no longer responds to my computer). So my computer runs but my monitor doesnt respond, and when I try to restart by ctrl alt del, it doesnt restart. What could be the problem??? could it be the motherboard? video card??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How's the power configuration? I trust you're not splitting your rails too much?

mikelx21

what do you mean by power configuration, and splitting the rails? (such a noob when it comes to power...), and speaking of power, how do I figure out if I have given all my computer parts the proper amount of power or voltage setting?

4W4K3

VIP Member
well what kind of power supply do you have? and how is everything connected to it? if you have molex connectors sharing power left and right, and you are dividing your rails (3.3, 5, 12V) between too many things, then you can stress them too much. praetor can explain better...i dont know too much about voltages and power. on a different note you are sure you dont have any wires touching your case or anything lke that right? that can short out your computer depending on how much voltage is running through it.

mikelx21

Ok one thing that I have noticed is that my computer stop responding after I am playing computer games and trying to run a 3dmark benchmark test, however I know for sure that it isnt because of my video card overheating...so what could it be???

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If you're certain its not the video card overheating, the RAM overheating or the CPU overheating then the next thing to look at are the voltages :) Are they in spec?

By splitting rails i meant: 5 fans + 1 HDD sharing a rail = bad that kinda deal another thing you dont do is 2 HDD + optical + crap = bad too much power (and variable at that when you consider the opticals) being shucked around = bad.

mikelx21

As far as I know, I have distributed all the rails efficiently (at least I hope). I made sure that my 2 Raptors had their own rail connected with one Y-cable, my video card has its own rail, and both of my optical drives have their own rails. So how do I figure out if everything is getting there proper voltages?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok the rails dont seem too stressed out by the primary devices.... what about fans and such?

To check your voltages use (a) a proggie that came with your mobo (b) something like MBM5/PCWizard or (c) check BIOS when you first bootup and immediately after a crash-restart