Is it worth buying 8700 for $50 less then a 8700K

Is it worth?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Complexity

The time has came for me to buy a new pc and i was thinking about getting a i7 8700 or 8700k. The 8700 is a 3.2 GHz base clock and the "K" version is 3.7 but their turbo frequencies are a 0.1 GHz more on the "K" side. I am not familiar with the phrase "turbo frequency" so i was wondering if someone can explain it to me?
I know what base freq is and it seems there is a higher difference then there is at turbo freq, so i was wondering how important is that?
At the pool i specifically mean: IS the difference between the freq worth it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The major difference between the K and the non K version is that the K version cpu can be overclocked as to where the non K can't.

Complexity

"K" series is unlocked so you typically get one if you want to overclock. If you don't plan to do this and/or don't have the parts to accommodate proper cooling then save the 50 bones and get the non-K. The 'turbo' part... check here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost
Thank you

The major difference between the K and the non K version is that the K version cpu can be overclocked as to where the non K can't.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: