Is this a good system?

Kristjan

I am moving to USA soon and I am going to get a new computer there... Since my first and so far last attempt to put together a computer failed (i put it together from used parts) i am looking for some advice...

Here's the config:
Samsung SyncMaster 710T 17” LCD
Antec Sonata
Abit KF8 Pro
AMD 64 3400+ 1MB cache
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128mb
Kingston ValueRAM 2x512 kit PC3200
Logitech MX1000
Logitech Media Keyboard
Altec Lansing FX6021 2.1
Plextor DVD-RW/+RW PX712-A
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Wacom Intuos 4x5
Windows XP Home Edition
Photoshop CS
Microsoft Office 2003

Lax

VIP Member
Looks pretty good from my viewpoinr (although I don't know AMD very well) so you may want to ask someone else here that does. For the RAM you MAY want to upgrade to HyperX or Corsair TwinX. I've had valueRAM in the past and it's usually run slower that anticipated. As for the OS you may also wanna upgrade to XP Pro.

computerdude2004

Ask that to some AMD people. I am a big Intel person, and Lord AnthraX says he likes Intel as well. Ask them how the MOBO performs with that processor and how they like the features and stuff.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Abit KF8 Pro
I assume you mean KV8 Pro? You might consider the NF8 which runs on the superior nForce250 chipset

Plextor DVD-RW/+RW PX712-A
A very solid drive but you might consider something cheaper like the Pioneer drives unless you have a specific use for the fancy features of the Plexy.

I've had valueRAM in the past and it's usually run slower that anticipated
What was the anticipation? The difference between value and performance (within a speed bracket) is just flexibility ... running the same settings results in the same performance :)

hyperX ram in list now. should I replace mobo with ASUS "K8N-E Deluxe"?
That would be a nice upgrade :)