Is this pc worth an upgrade?

what graphics card do you have? that pc could work... the processor is on the slow side but still good enough for probably 1 more year. the ram should be upgraded to 2GB and if you have a decent graphics card it would be okay.
 
graphics card is a "ati radeon x300" but i think if i wanted another year out of it i would have to upgrade i run at 30 fps in counterstrike and lag all over the place in world of warcraft.
 
Last edited:
haha, I have that same graphics card, it's horrible on todays games :(
I average 20-30 FPS on CoD4 at lowest settings at 640x480 res :0

I would just buy a whole new computer rather than upgrade that "thing" :P

I have similar specs, and im going to be building my own new comp pretty soon. Not worth the upgrade.
 
1000 usd at the most =/ i just put a lot of money into my car...is the whole process of putting the machine together easy?
 
That I cant speak for from expireince :P
BUT, everybody here will tell you that it is very easy (which is why i will be doing it soon)

Give me a few mins and i'll come up with a good parts list for 1000 or less ;)
 
Your current rig is about as powerful as mine, which is ~5 years old.

The games that you mentioned aren't anywhere near as much of a drain on your computer's resources as something like Crysis or Bioshock would be. Spore/SC2/D3 will probably run just fine on your current rig, and I see no reason for you to get a new computer unless you just want to build one for fun.

Lag on WOW is caused by your Internet connection, not the computer itself.
 
Lucky you! I payed 1600 for almost the exact same specs! :o
(stupid Dell....)

But hey, thats technology, the 4870X2 and GTX280 are on top right now, but within a few months, they will drop down to 2nd or maybe even 3rd place in rankings... It's just the way technology works, unfortunatly.
 
A slight upgarde would be good

I would suggest trying to get these components. It will make a good gaming pc. Here's some components. If you need help installing these, an independant computer business should do it for little or no charge.
CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115032
You might be able find for cheaper somewhere else.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211014
Old Fashoned DDR Memory is expensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023
Solid Thermaltake 430 Watt.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085
Good Budget Video card that should satisfy most of your needs.
 
I would suggest trying to get these components. It will make a good gaming pc. Here's some components. If you need help installing these, an independant computer business should do it for little or no charge.
CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115032
You might be able find for cheaper somewhere else.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211014
Old Fashoned DDR Memory is expensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153023
Solid Thermaltake 430 Watt.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130085
Good Budget Video card that should satisfy most of your needs.
Are you sure that a C2D would work in his gateway? Remember, it's not just the socket that matters. Apart from that little note, if the OP is willing to use this oldie for a little longer rather than buying a new machine now, this sounds like a decent upgrade, though I don't think he needs a new PSU. But I would say getting a new rig would be better because soon the computer will be so outdated it won't be good even with the upgrades... granted a new build will be more expensive, it will also last longer and be easier to upgrade in the future (if need be).
 
Back
Top