jailbreaking & unlocking

Hanamichi

Well I own a 8gb Iphone 2g, now I want to upgrade it to latest firmware possible. I just want to do it for my experience. So please guys will you please give me links for step by step tutorial to do it as am doing it for first time. And don't know about baseband problems during this process. Pls also let me know about the problems that can occur and precaution to be taken while doing this.

TekMaster

look up redsn0w jailbreak
precautions = none, you can always force restore your phone

try and find a reliable youtube video that supports this and thats all the support you need

possible losses = contacts and saved data

Last edited:

Hanamichi

TekMaster thanx for so quick response. Will u please let me know what's the latest frimware version that I can upgrade it to. and heard that upgrading my baseband can cause it to damage in some cases and cannot be downgraded. Is it true?

TekMaster

yes wait before you go to redn0w and let me figure out what firmware you need to be using.
(I DONT RECOMMEND ANY FIRMWARE HACKS, JUST PROVIDE WAYS OF ACCOMPLISHING TASKS).. I will update this post with the current redsn0w support.
from experience, as long as you stay in firmware guidelines then it will run ok but im not promising it will run as good as your current apple firmware
but redsn0w is 100% the most popular. if you run a youtube or google search it will provide you with answers.

TO BE EDITED

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Actually jailbreaking is a lot easier than it used to be. You can just go to jailbreakme.com (on your iPhone) and tap jailbreak. It'll automatically download the necessary files and install (the lesser-known app central Cydia) but then you can go through there and download the more known one.

TekMaster

The only reason you jailbreak is to get Cydia really so you have access to repositories. It's pretty much linux. But I have never once had a stable jailbreak when I used to play around with my ipod touch, I wouldn't recommend it. Leaving it stock was best for me. Theres no way I would jailbreak my phone, only my ipod