John's Got GPU Problems

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There is no dust on the card I blew everything out a couple weeks ago. They turn freely when pushed by my finger, no resistance. If the fans weren't spinning all the time when I got the card, I wouldn't be worried but I am. I'll just wait to hear back from them. I got 20 days to return the card to them.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
There is no dust on the card I blew everything out a couple weeks ago. They turn freely when pushed by my finger, no resistance. If the fans weren't spinning all the time when I got the card, I wouldn't be worried but I am. I'll just wait to hear back from them. I got 20 days to return the card to them.
I got a GTX 670 or an HD5850 I can lend you :D

Darren

Staff member
Have you physically seen the fans turning in the past or looking at the fan monitors? Mine will still say it's spinning even if it's not.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oh boy. The fans have always constantly ran up until the day I lost video input. How many more times do I have to say this? When using AMD software to control the fans, you got to push it over 30 percent before the fans will stay on all the time. I'll try posting a video of it sometime today what it does on bootup and at idle. Its not normal the way it turns off and on every couple seconds at bootup.

Darren

Staff member
Oh boy. The fans have always constantly ran up until the day I lost video input. How many more times do I have to say this? When using AMD software to control the fans, you got to push it over 30 percent before the fans will stay on all the time. I'll try posting a video of it sometime today what it does on bootup and at idle. Its not normal the way it turns off and on every couple seconds at bootup.

Okay, sorry was just curious.

I'm as mystified as you are honestly. Behavior of the fan now sounds normal but I don't know why it started doing this now. My 390 has the fans off at very initial boot BTW, which suggests the vBIOS is controlling it before Windows gets it and would have the fans be set to low or off since the card isn't hot yet. It's designed to kick in at 60oC I think.

For good measure might be worth completely uninstalling Afterburner, reboot, reset Crimson to factory defaults DDU AMD drivers off in SafeMode and reinstall latest hotfix 16.3.1. I'm leery of Crimson and fans after the whole fiasco with my 7970. 15.12 was supposed to fix it but I still don't trust it because I remember hearing some people still getting problems.

My Afterburner and Crimson fan speeds actually line up now, if I change one the other slider adjusts. Also enabling in auto in Afterburner just turns off the control in Crimson and vice versa.

Also you can bump your power limit up to 20%, it throttles the card pretty bad even at stock at 0%.