just built computer trouble

nismo

i have just built my first computer and now after i have completed putting it together it will not boot to the screen. All it says is to check signal cable and i am sure that isnt the problem b/c it does that on other monitors as well that work on my other computers. the whole computer powers up all lights fans mobo light goes on but nothing happens after. if you have any ideas on what could be the problem please post

p.s. another thing that seems to be bothering me is that my cd-rom and burner lights dont go on i dont know if they have to be activated once the computer boots or not.
thanx

4W4K3

VIP Member
Please list your hardware, makes it easier to diagnos the problem.

Sounds like your video card might be bad. But if your cd-roms dont power up either it sounds like your PSU might be faulty or overloaded. What type do you have and how big is it?

nismo

list of my parts

160GB sata HD

intel P4 540 3.2Ghz 1MB Cache 800fsb socT 775 HT

Intel D915PBLL Socket 775 mobo

Mushkin 512MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz

Diamond Stealth S80 Radeon 9200se 128MB PCI

X-Blade case with 400w psu and it was suppost to be tested from the factory
it also includes 3 case fans

i dont think its the power b/c i have disconnected the burner and one fan and it doesnt make any difference.
when i started it up a few times it had this really quite beep type noise you had to be very close to hear it, not like when u hold buttons down on your keyboard type noise.

4W4K3

VIP Member
hmm...so the beeping is very quiet? sounds like the speaker in your PC is damaged, but not likely. i think it might be your motheroard if you are POSITIVE the PSU is OK. I would test the PSU in another rig if possible. If it's ok then i think mobo might be somewhat fried, dead AGP/PCI slots maybe.

nismo

thanx i hope they will let me exchange my mobo for a working one now, if i do have to exchange it does anyone know how to get an intel original socket 775 prescott cooling fan to unlock from the mobo?