Keeps saying "found new hardware"...

laptop30

Hi Im new here and not massively laptop literate when it come to drivers hardware etc... but Im having problems with my cd/dvd drive.

I have a Samsung x-15, runs on windows XP SP3 with windows media player 11.

I can play cd's and rip and burn them but not Dvds. The drive doesnt recognise the dvd at all. No menu comes up when the dvd is inserted.

I have gone into the device manager and under the dvd/cd rom drive the hardware is "Samsung CDRW/DVD SN-324F". It also has the yellow sticker with the ! mark on it.
I right click and go to Update Driver and it always comes up with "cannot find driver better than one installed".
I then Uninstall and when i scan for hardware changes the "FOUnd New Hardware... Samsung cd rom drive" comes up then "A problem occured during hardware installation your device might not work properly"...

I have unistalled and reinstalled windows 11 to see if that did anything but nothing.
Can anyone shed any light on if there is anything i can do to get this sorted?!

FunnelWeb

have you tried this method??

click start > then run > type in regedit then navigate to this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry, so if you don't see upperfilters entry then delete the lower filters entry

On the Edit menu, click Delete.

then exit registry editer and restart computer :)

laptop30

THanks for the tip but its hasnt done anything.

The DVD still wont show up anywhere on the laptop which makes me think the dvd drive isnt fully installed? Although Its still saying there is no better software for the dvd driver than what i have already installed. :confused:

laptop30

THanks.:)
I have uninstalled and rebooted a few times and it doesnt solve it either.
I cant actually get the driver as it says winzip has expired and i cant get it through there unless i buy new software?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need drivers for cd/dvdrom drives as windows will use its own native driver for it. Most likely you have a bad drive, the only other suggestion I can make is to try doing a repair install of the operating system. If that don't work back up your data and do a fresh install and see if it works.

laptop30

You don't need drivers for cd/dvdrom drives as windows will use its own native driver for it. Most likely you have a bad drive, the only other suggestion I can make is to try doing a repair install of the operating system. If that don't work back up your data and do a fresh install and see if it works.

I wouldnt have a clue how to do a repair install... Is there anywhere i can find out how to do one?

SHould add i dont have the manual etc..

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have an actual xp reinstall cd or recovery cd? You might have no choice but to do a total new install.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you still have your owners manual? Most likely you have a recovery partition and you would have to access that on bootup to reinstall windows.

FunnelWeb

you could try removing your dvd drive and then putting it back in again, but just remember where the leads go before you do it. sometimes this works as the pc finds the dvd drive again!! and what johnb35 said about not needing drivers?? well windows xp has its own drivers which is true, but doing a firmware update of your dvd model does not do any harm either!!! and thats what i posted above for you to try but unfortunately you cannot get it owing to a winzip error. can you get winrar as mentioned above and then try it again..

laptop30

I forgot to add to this, if i play the dvds through the trial power dvd 9 or any other free one they work fine but it needs to be able to playh through windows media. The fact that the laptop recognises the dvd through external dvd player does this narrow anything down?

Thanks for the info i will have a go!

Last edited:

laptop30

Sorry what i meant was if i downloaded the easy dvd player trial version or other free trial (not windows media) then the dvd would work through them.

However i have just tried doing this now and the dvd drive doesnt even register on the computer anymore?

FunnelWeb

what error messages are you getting when you play any dvd's ?? without the trial programs!!

is there any message that you get ??

or laptop30 if your not sure on this to try, see if you can get a friend to turn off the laptop, phsically take out the drive from the computer. Then put it back in and make sure it snaps into place. Then turn on the computer and go into the BIOS. It should show up in there now and if it does then it should show up in windows as well.

If you do this and it still doesn't show up in the BIOS, then the drive is bad and would need to be replaced but I feel once you reseat the drive back into the slot, then the laptop should see it again.

also laptop30 go here and download your repair manual to see if any thing helps

http://www.fixdevice.com/smanuals/file/38270.html just put the code in in the captcha as in sample pic

152jf5e.jpg

Last edited:

konsole

I thought I recalled Windows XP's compatbility with dvd drives and dvd's in general was less then stellar. I remembered installing a dvd drive on an older computer and the drive would show up as a cd drive. I found this:

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/dvd/playback/dvdplayback.php

If that doesnt fix it just search for the web for something like "Windows xp dvd problems" or something like that.

It's kind of amazing that the operating system just before Vista wasnt optimized yet for DVD interacting.

Last edited: