Lacking performance

timmah01

me and my brother both play WoW, but he gets alot better performance. I have the better computer, and his is performing waaaaay better than mine. i get constant "lag" and such, he gets hardly any. we both have the same computer specs except i have 1gb of ram and he has 512. adware/viruses/spyware are not a problem scanned many times no viruses, and he actually has alot of spyware. all drivers the same, etc. what could be causing this.. its really annoying:(

tomb08uk

I presume you two play over a LAN by what you are saying? If so, you may be getting lag if you are hosting the game or may vary on how much free hard disc space you have, as ideal at least 3/4GB is needed of freespace.

Archangel

VIP Member
you cant host a game with WoW ;)

but, whats your in game ping/latency? (green/yellow/red anmd the ammount of ms :) )

NeuromancerWGDD'U

If you're running more programs in the backround that would explain it. Case and point - my dad's system is a P4A 2.4GHz with a 64 meg AGP 4x vid card, and 256 megs of PC2100. My (old) system was a P3 450MHz with a 32 meg AGP 2x vid card and 96 megs of PC100. The same games that I could play flawlessly on my (old) system lag on my dad's computer. Backround programs are resource killers. I'd check there for your answers first.

Polyturk

Possible sploutions:
1-Try defragging your harddisk.
2-Download hijack this and make a scan and send the log to forum.
3-Try updating your mainboard and vga drivers.
4-İF these are net helpful write back to me for further help....

DanLatimer

Georgous said:
Reinstall Windows. It needs to be done every six months or the whole system slows down.

if you reinstall windows you will have to reinstall all of your programs. that is so boring haha its killer, unless im mistaken, do you know a way to get around reinstalling all of the programs that you had installed?

Georgous

DanLatimer said:
if you reinstall windows you will have to reinstall all of your programs. that is so boring haha its killer, unless im mistaken, do you know a way to get around reinstalling all of the programs that you had installed?

I usually make a ghost of my hard disk after I've installed Windows and all of the basic applications. That way, if your PC's HDD decides to break, you accidentally get some nasty program, or Windows decides it's time to slow things down a little, you can restore all your programs and configuration without too much hassle.

BTW: Try to get hold of the old version. It runs on DOS and fits on a floppy, so you can create and autoexec floppy with FreeDOS.

Last edited:

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Why would you reinstall your OS every 6 months? As long as you don't let viruses and spyware lurk about, it should be fine. My last system ran for close to seven years on it's original installation of 98SE (well, 98, then I upgraded to SE, but that doesn't matter), and it ran pretty well (considering the specs).

Last edited:

XHotxEx791

I have my system for 6 months, and i don't notice any lagg. I sure as **** am not going to re-install windows. Waste my time. If the lagg is not noticably noticable, than i would leave it.
ROger

timmah01

- yea im a on a lan internet connection, and i have 16 GB of free space.
- we do not play together via a network, i just watch him play and make comparisons
- my ping is a constant 512 ms, same with my brother
- no programs in the background, my brother has many programs running in background :confused:
- specs are 1024mb of ram, nvidia geforce fx 5200, windows xp, intel celeron 2.4ghz
- i have reinstalled windows atleast 5 times over the past months (dont ask)
- possible solutions reply, i defragged my hardisk, download hijack this along with spybot, microsoft antispyware, ad-aware and norton antiviruse. i updated ALL drivers
- im not reinstalling windows again cause the game takes 6 hours to install :eek:
- would having different sound drivers affect the game

thanks for all the quick responses :eek: sorry i couldnt reply sooner, any other suggestions. Maybe a hardware fault?

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Are you both running WoW at the same quality setting? I'm assuming you can change the quality settings...? Sorry, I've never played an MMORPG...stupid dial-up. Are you both running the same OS? Is your RAM the same as his (timings and brand, not capacity, I know you have double what he does)? Also, is the RAM in multiple sticks (like him having 256x2 and you having 256x4)? I know that in some systems/with some CPU cores having all the RAM slots filled will degrade performance.

That's all I can really think of...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Check your NIC settings ... two identical machines can somehow have one NIC configured differently and even to point of lagging out LAN games to crap