laggy lappy

jjbpenguin

I formatted my computer about 2 months ago at the beginning of summer and I have had it for about one year. It was formatted simply because a lot of old programs were on there and I just wanted to start clean. After fomatting though i noticed that every few minutes my computer just froze for a few seconds. I first noticed it playing CounterStrike and just assumed it was a graphic problem, but then i started noticing it on things like MS word 2003. I would be typing and then my computer would stop responding for about 2 seconds and then bring up all the letters i typed in that time. This is not too inconvenient, but there are times, especially when watching video, that this causes the system to freeze completly. No mouse movement or keyboard response. I have to hold in power to restart. Just wondering if anyone has had similar experience and found a solution or have a suggestion.

P.S. I am running dual monitors and have checked system resources durring games and normal usage on the second monitor and there are no distinct changes in cup usage and memory usage up until it freezes. Then obviously nothing changes due to the freezing. So i am sure ran or cup is not topping out.

Computer:
HP Pavilion zv5240us
P4 3.0 with hyperthread (got to love the hyperthreads)
768mb ram (recently bought kinston 512 for $49 at bestbuy.
128mb shared ati mobility 9000
xp home service pack 2

alanuofm

VIP Member
are you sure that video card is shared memory?
well thats besides the point.

if the processor is running too hot it can cause unstable performance. do you have air conditioning in the house? if not you can try one of those laptop coolers they sell at best buy or circuitcity.