laptop advice needed

timotei68

hello, i know very little about computers and have a basic home pc.I would like to purchase a laptop but have no idea where to start and would like some advice if anyone would be so kind.I only really use my computer to save word documents and check emails and surf the internet so something basic would be fine, hopefully in the region of £500. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
many thanks
tim

timotei68

p.s any suggestions also on connecting to the internet with my laptop whilst traveling around the country as i would like to check my emails now and then and i am on the road alot.
thanks again

Lax

VIP Member
All new laptops have an ethernet port built into it or sometimes wireless connectivity also. Some good companies are Emachine, Asus, Acer, HP, and dell. All make great laptops for what you want to do. Emachine and Asus are a bit more though cause you're paying for performance so they might be a bit overkill for what you want to use them for.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I assume they have Averatecs where you are(Europe as you used pounds?) Anyway, I just got myself an Averatec 3270 and it's very nice for the price. I paid about $700 USD total(this is after rebates that I DID get) and have been very pleased so far. It uses an AMD Sempron processor(quite peppy) 512M RAM, and has a DVD-RW in it. Oh, and a 60G harddrive, some have 80G... Oh, and wireless! So many features

The things I don't like about Dell machines is they all use Intel processors. As this might be fine for the higher end stuff, things like Celerons are just junk. Most also don't have much RAM(usally 256M) or much harddrive, OR a decent optical drive(standard CD-ROM, or DVD ROM) Of course it all depends on what you want, but I stand behind my Averatec :D I really like it.