laptop buying advice!

moose

Hi
I'm a student looking for a laptop for uni.
Basically, it needs to be portable - preferably 12" and light, although a 14" that fits my specs would be considered.
It has to have an inbuilt optical drive.
I'm not going to be using it for gaming so I don't need anything too fast or graphicy although I do want it to last me a couple of years.
But I'm going to be doing a lot of word-processing so I need a good, sturdy, widely spaced keyboard with as little bend as possible (really important!)
Looks aren't an issue - sturdiness is.
A good screen, preferably non-reflective / matt, would be good too.
Price isn't that much of an issue - I'm willing to up to $2000.

Any advice would be really appreciated!
Thanks

moose

It's only a maximum price! I'm going to be studying journalism, so something portable is really important.

X24

I really like the averatecs, but since you have quite a larger budget and would probably like something a little nicer, try looking at fujitsu, IBM or Sony, they make quite a few light laptops with very nice keyboards. IBM's are also very very stury, and said to have the best keyboard. i personally have got used to my I9300's keyboard.

alanuofm

VIP Member
IBM's are probably one of the nicest you can get with a fairly larger price tag. the think pads are unbeatable though. not of fan of the sony brand at all considering i own two and both are currently dead and both were 2000$. yeah i should do something about those.

moose

Hmm the thinkpads do have nice keyboards, I've tried a few, but none of the small, portable ones seem to have inbuilt optical drives. . .

X24

let me check this out for you, i'm usually busy, but i guess i can...........
T43:
3.8 lbs. built in optical drive
under $2000
Awesome keyboard

fits the bill, check it out.

spamdos

despite the fact that i dont really like macs their ibook is very good. it has a twelve inch screen and with that money you could get the top model too

alanuofm

VIP Member
spamdos said:
despite the fact that i dont really like macs their ibook is very good. it has a twelve inch screen and with that money you could get the top model too

why don't you like macs?

sucker19812003

for this much price u may go for a Sony Viao, which will suit a students life. Or an IBM, but if u want a comfortable KYB then dont go fr IBM they r really small. Sony is the best choice. get a T series or something like that. U can carry it like ur notes copy to everywhere. also opt for maximum RAM=> Processor Ghz => HDD space => Wieght => Screen Type (Sony has the best screen, Xblack) => anything ur like...

Advitiya Saxena

for this much price u may go for a Sony Viao, which will suit a students life. Or an IBM, but if u want a comfortable KYB then dont go fr IBM they r really small. Sony is the best choice. get a T series or something like that. U can carry it like ur notes copy to everywhere. also opt for maximum RAM=> Processor Ghz => HDD space => Wieght => Screen Type (Sony has the best screen, Xblack) => anything ur like...

moose

I've only heard good things about IBM keyboards, and the T43 does look pretty good. . .quite new though and I can only find previews of it - wondering what its like to use - does anyone have it yet?

Been looking at MV Mobeus too which I like although heard conflicting things about the keyboard. . .

The Sonys I've tried have crap keyboards. . .really springy