Laptop clicking noise

amy85

My dell laptop (Inspiron 8500) recently began to make this weird clicking/thinking noise all the time, like it used to do right before I shut it down. Also, I can no longer get it to shut down normally--- I have to press the button. I'm afraid it's going to die on me...does anyone know what I should do?

alanuofm

VIP Member
amy85 said:
My dell laptop (Inspiron 8500) recently began to make this weird clicking/thinking noise all the time, like it used to do right before I shut it down. Also, I can no longer get it to shut down normally--- I have to press the button. I'm afraid it's going to die on me...does anyone know what I should do?

what happens if you try to shut it down?

amy85

it does that thinking thing...but never completes shutting down, just kinda freezes.... i dont know if that helps or not. im going to try to call dell tonight.

alanuofm

VIP Member
if you hear clicking in the hard drive then its not good at all. dells comes with a hardware diagnostic that will check your hard drive for bad sectors.

amy85

I called the dell support...and he made me run the diagnostic harddrive test, but nothing came up...however, now my computer is also making a hissing/screeching noise..AHHHH

4W4K3

VIP Member
Dell laptops are notorious for HDD failure and this "clicking" is very common. Call Dell, ask for an exchange or w/e. Don't say your not sure, or it might have a problem, jsut flat out ask for a return so they know you already know it's a faulty HDD. they should work with you if it's still under warranty.

alanuofm

VIP Member
4W4K3 said:
Dell laptops are notorious for HDD failure and this "clicking" is very common. Call Dell, ask for an exchange or w/e. Don't say your not sure, or it might have a problem, jsut flat out ask for a return so they know you already know it's a faulty HDD. they should work with you if it's still under warranty.

dell do not manufacture their own hdd. they use fujitsu's and hitachi's.

alanuofm

VIP Member
amy85 said:
I called the dell support...and he made me run the diagnostic harddrive test, but nothing came up...however, now my computer is also making a hissing/screeching noise..AHHHH

do you have a cd in the cdrom drive? if so take it out.

4W4K3

VIP Member
alanuofm said:
dell do not manufacture their own hdd. they use fujitsu's and hitachi's.

...that doesn't mean they wont do an exchange with you. they have inventory jsut like any computer manufacturer. if it's inside the Dell originally, it should only be returned to Dell in the end to make use of the warranty you get.

alanuofm

VIP Member
4W4K3 said:
...that doesn't mean they wont do an exchange with you. they have inventory jsut like any computer manufacturer. if it's inside the Dell originally, it should only be returned to Dell in the end to make use of the warranty you get.

i didnt say anything about them not doing an exchange. somebody make a quote about them having bad hard drives and i was explaining how they dont make their own hard drives and use other named brand drives.

4W4K3

VIP Member
alanuofm said:
i didnt say anything about them not doing an exchange. somebody make a quote about them having bad hard drives and i was explaining how they dont make their own hard drives and use other named brand drives.

oh ok. i thought you meant because they didn't make them, then they won't be able to exchange them. my bad, read wrong.