Laptop Hard Drive error

gill501

After getting much needed help with the problem in this thread:

http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=22523

I have to ask for help again. I managed to get Xp Prof installed and it was working ok for an hour or so before I got a blue screen appear again with an error. I tried restarting but this time I get a blue screen in the middle of booting up, each time with different error codes, and each time at the bottom saying it is going to "dump physical memory". I'm not THAT technical and don't know what this means, but I know it's bad. My hard drive is now making a light buzzing noise which it never used to before. Are there any simple solutions, would it be worth me buying and inserting a new hard drive, would this solve all the problems. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Is the computer under warranty? If not you may want to look into a new hd if you have th funds available.. They can run a little steep, depending on the speed and size you want.

-Dont throw the old hd away, you may be able to recover the info still.

gill501

No i dont have any warranty now, the Laptop is 3 years old. How easy is it to install a new hard drive, would I manage this myself? Im not that technical minded but I have installed memory, psu, drives and cards into to my desktop which was easy enough, but I don't really relish the thought of opening up this laptop!

Advitiya Saxena

1. I think there is some mechanical failure in ur HDD. So u may need to replace it with a new one.

2. Fr HDD replacement u don have to study engineering, Just open ur laptop manual.

3.Generally u can figure it out by observing ur laptop bottom. There must be a HDD symbol engraved. Open the two screw and pull out the HDD.

4. Since the Laptop is pretty old, 1st use some diagnostics like everest to find out the exact specifications of HDD or u may take it to some small time repair centre.