laptop--harddrive

ahajv4life

Ok, here's a diff. one. have a laptop and a desktop harddrive. I was wondering if it's possible to somehow hook up the desktop-harddrive to the laptop to use/read it. besides needing an outside power source, is there a port i can make/buy/configure to get it to read the HD?

ZER0X

VIP Member
I don't think you can do that...youll just have to copy the files from the desktop hardrive and put it on the laptop hardrive :)

Computer Man5

You can buy a kit to convert the Desktop HD to an external usb or firewire HD. Check Newegg.com or ebay thats where ive seen them before.

Super_Nova

If it supports any IDE Drive it will support laptop hard drives. Laptop hard drives have the exact same IDE interface as a full size drive they just have extra pins for power, are are of coarse smaller. All you need to convert a laptop hard drive to a desktop, or USB IDE converter is a $5- $10 dollar adapter for connecting a 2.5 inch IDE drive to a 3.5 inch IDE cable. They're widely available. There are even IDE adapters for a standard laptop DVD/CD-ROMs because like the hard drives the IDE interface is there, but they changed the pins for the smaller format. As far as converting a full size hard drive to a smaller laptop IDE interface, that's difficult. A laptop drive is easy to convert because it all runs on 5 volts for both electronics and mechanics Which any desktop or USB converter will provide. A desktop size drive would be difficult to convert to a laptop because it uses both 5 and 12 volts, the 5v to run the electronics and the 12v to run the mechanics. The 2.5 inch Laptop IDE interface does not provide a 12v power source. The best way to connecting it is with a USB converter with an external power source.

Link

Picture:
ideadapter.gif

Last edited: