Laptop not connecting wirelessly on boot

I took home my laptop from work today, it easily connected to the wifi in my house. I though that maybe it was my gateway from AT&T. Obviously it's not, there has to be a problem with the laptop.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest doing this. Go into the network and sharing center and on the left hand side you will see where it says manage wireless network/connections, click on it. Delete your wireless connection and reset it back up. Reboot the system and see what happens. You can also use the msconfig utility to disable some programs from running at bootup which may be causing the issue as well.

Mainly the Cyberlink software and the Weather channel app.

I suggest doing this. Go into the network and sharing center and on the left hand side you will see where it says manage wireless network/connections, click on it. Delete your wireless connection and reset it back up. Reboot the system and see what happens. You can also use the msconfig utility to disable some programs from running at bootup which may be causing the issue as well.

Mainly the Cyberlink software and the Weather channel app.

I tried the deleting the connection and making a new one already, thanks for the suggestion.

I have not tried disabling any programs on boot up, I'm not sure why that would cause an issue though. It started with the installation of Skype. I know I uninstalled it, but could there still be something left behind causing this issue?

So, I'm starting to get a little desperate. I'm thinking about doing a repair install.

I have 3 Recovery Disks that I made back when the computer was new, but I don't think those are the disks required to perform this action. I have begun downloading a Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/ I plan to copy the image to a DVD and see if I can repair whatever is wrong from it. I've never done this before, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you can use the iso file and use burning software that will write the iso image to a dvd and then install windows and then use the key that is on the bottom of the laptop to activate. I would actually do a fresh install as a repair usually doesn't fix issues.

And yes certain programs running at bootup can cause issues such as this. Can you remember what day skype was installed? Was anything else installed on that day?

So you wouldn't do a repair?

And no, I don't recall installing anything else that day. I don't see anything in the Control Panel either that was installed around that date either.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try doing a repair but repairs usually don't work. If its not that much work for you to do a fresh install, thats what I would do. Why do it twice when you know a fresh install will definitely work?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can always backup what data you want to keep and then do a fresh install. Did you create the recovery disks when you first bought the computer? If i'm not mistaken it does take 3 disks for the recovery process for an Asus laptop as I just did one about a month ago.

I think you're right, that might be the next step.

Yes, I have the recovery disks, so it shouldn't be a problem. I had to do it once before.

Just to be clear as to what the problem is, when the computer is powered on or wakes up it does not even see any available networks and there is a red x over the bars in the right hand corner. When the mouse hovers over the bars the messages that comes up says that no connections are available.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try doing a system restore back to before skype was installed to see if that fixes it. If not, you would have to reinstall windows.

I just can't believe that skype would break an internet connection like this. However, I just researched skype causing internet connection not to work brought up lots of issues.

I found the wireless switch. I have had this computer for 5 years and didn't realize there's a physical switch for the wireless!!!

I feel stupid.