Laptop on your lap???

chimknee

:confused: We just got our first laptop. My wife wants to be able to use it when were traveling in the car. However its obvious that the bottom gets pretty warm after its been on for awhile. Probably would not be able to support it on legs when sitting in the car. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I used mine for a little while. Best thing to do is be sure any vents aren't being blocked by your legs or cloths. Investing in some type of cooling pad might be wise, too. I have one I don't plan to use if you are intersted. PM me if so...

kof2000

yeah usually theres two fans under there one suck and one blow, so tell her dont block them with her thighs no matter how hot she is.

Adam Warren

There was studys done that proved that when using a laptop on your lap, it will lower a mans sperm drive. lol. I know my laptop over heats and shuts off when i have it on my lap, because of the fact that i cover upp all the intake fans! So i bought a usb fan and aim it at the back where all the ports are and that equels it out!

alanuofm

VIP Member
my girlfriend has a centrino setup and even hers hot as heck when the bottom vents are blocked. i dont recommend using it on a lap. use a book or something to set the computer on and then put it your lap

kof2000

this is what i do. grab 4 cd spindles and possible them in a square possible and then place the lappy down. LOL this is my best way to cool it off or when gaming. all the vents are open and theres alot of space for the heat to clear off.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Conclusion-> Laptops should be renamed to Tabletops.

Basically, yes.... Without extreme or strange cooling methods, you cant have it on your lap for extended amoutns of time. Kinda defeats the object of a laptop really. But then again has anyone ever measured the core temp and such, it may not be that hot. If you pulled your PC mobo out and sat it on your lap you would feel it getting hot.... Thats basically what is happening with a laptop, apart from you've got the graphics vard and HDD and everything ditting on you lap.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
lol I have an amd athlon xp m and it's like an iron sitting on your lap. If I play a game on it it can seriously burn my leg...it's even hot to the touch when it's idle! Manufacturers should put bulit in liquid cooling or something into laptops...