laptop or ipad for killing time at work

tlarkin

VIP Member
The iDevice OS is a full blown OS under the hood, aka it is Unix. If you jail break it you will get command line access.

Code:
106-tests-iMac:~ tlarkin$ whereis telnet
/usr/bin/telnet
106-tests-iMac:~ tlarkin$ whereis ssh
/usr/bin/ssh
106-tests-iMac:~ tlarkin$

telnet and ssh are built into the CLI. I can do both on my first gen iPhone once I jail broke it and installed terminal.

anil099

I think a net book is exactly what I'm looking for..dont know why I didn't even consider it...and the price point is very comfortable....I don't know I could over justify spending 500 on an ipad...if the stasting price point was 400 I might consider it...but you gotta add the cost of docks and apps later on.:..nonetheless I'll go to best buy this Sunday and play with both..I'll report back what I decided

tlarkin

VIP Member
If you want the eReader functionality, the iPad is the way to go. My buddy says he uses his iPad more than his laptop because of the crisp IPS screen and the fact that he can easily read books on it. He has to travel for work though, so he is traveling a lot. Plus the 10+ hour battery life is great when he has a lay over in an Airport.

Kind of a niche use, as not everyone is always stuck in an airport. I think if I got a job that required part time or full time travel I would go out and buy a Gameboy DS and an iPad the next day.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Get a Dingoo!

Those are interesting....but you can hack a DS or a PSP to load emulators and install Linux and I am willing to be they are probably higher quality.

Though this Dingoo thing looks kind of nifty, never seen them before.

Quiltface

you can install linux on a dingoo too... and its only $80

the snes and genesis emus are left to be desired.

GBA GB GBC NES are all perfect I havent really tried anything else. The whole unit is open source though so there is a dingoo community out there that makes new firmware for the thing

Geoff

VIP Member
The iDevice OS is a full blown OS under the hood, aka it is Unix. If you jail break it you will get command line access.

Code:
106-tests-iMac:~ tlarkin$ whereis telnet
/usr/bin/telnet
106-tests-iMac:~ tlarkin$ whereis ssh
/usr/bin/ssh
106-tests-iMac:~ tlarkin$

telnet and ssh are built into the CLI. I can do both on my first gen iPhone once I jail broke it and installed terminal.
Same with my Droid.

Quiltface

yes, the American distributor will load the latest firmware on your device by default which will make the menu in English by default. Like I said the SNES and GENS emus are bad.. some games work fine but not all. but some of the good games on SNES they put on GBA so you can just use it that way... Im all about the price tag... for $80 I was sold. I play it before I go to bed just to wear my eyes out or Im sure ill bring it on the plane when I go out of town. I don't do constant gaming on it, i prefer my ps3.... yeah sorry about this if you want I will start a dingoo thread.

IsabellaWinTeam

I think a net book is exactly what I'm looking for..dont know why I didn't even consider it...and the price point is very comfortable....I don't know I could over justify spending 500 on an ipad...if the stasting price point was 400 I might consider it...but you gotta add the cost of docks and apps later on.:..nonetheless I'll go to best buy this Sunday and play with both..I'll report back what I decided

Hi there,

Good to hear that this thread was helpful. Before you go to Best Buy, you should check out a tool called PC Scout. You can search by netbook and compare their specs side by side: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?mode=landing#.

Let me know what you decide on and how you like it!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

ksentryknight

New 7.0'' inch touch Screen Tablet PC MID Apad rockchip

130dollars work out you all the worries, wifi,3g,hd films,ebook,
New 7.0'' inch touch Screen Tablet PC MID Apad rockchip

1. DISPLAY TYPE: TFT

2. RESOLUTION: 800*480

3. SRCREEN SIZE: 7inch

4. Size(HeightXWidthXThickness mm) :186mm(L) ×119mm(W)×14mm(H)

5. Battey type: Built in Li Polymer( 3000 mAH)

6. play time: 4 hours

7. Mode of Operation: mechanical key

8. Files Support: Audio Video Graphics

9. WIFI: 802.11b/g

10.Accessories: Manual、Adapter、USB cable、ear phone

http://www.ksentry.net/En_ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=408

Last edited:

fastdude

The iPad wifi is actually quicker than the 3G, and lighter. There are planty of YouTube vids showing this :L