Laptop SSD - clone and replace

Daf57

Hi all!
Got a quick question, please.
I have a Dell G5 15 5590 laptop - it came with 100GB SSD (that's already close to full!) that I want to replace with larger SSD. I ordered this one:

I want to clone the original so I need an usb adapter - this is where I get very confused. The new ssd, to me, looks more like a circuit board - the adapters I'm seeing on Amazon look more like a sata setup.
My best guess is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Adapter-Optimized-EC-SSHD/dp/B011M8YACM/

Am I close? If not please recommend.

Thank you!
Daf

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
You ordered an M.2 drive and your system uses a SATA interface. Your best bet is to get a larger SATA type and clone using the adapter you linked.

Daf57

Thanks for the reply, portjw. Do you mean get a larger SATA type drive or adapter? I've already ordered that drive. It was suggested after a scan on the Crucial site. It needs to be internal. Could you clarify, please? :)
Thank you!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
From what I'm seeing that model has an NVME SSD And a sata mechanical drive. I can't believe they ship that with only a 128gb boot drive.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully you are buying an NVME drive since thats what you have now. I would get a 512gb one.

Daf57

Hopefully you are buying an NVME drive since thats what you have now. I would get a 512gb one.
Check the link in the first post. The product page says ...
Interface - NVMe (PCIe Gen 4 x4)
I think that's good to go, yes?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The gen 4 nvme most likely won't work in a gen 3 laptop. You'll want to get a Gen 3 1TB SSD. Something like this.

nvme.jpg

EJett

Thanks for the reply, portjw. Do you mean get a larger SATA type drive or adapter? I've already ordered that drive. It was suggested after a scan on the Crucial site. It needs to be internal. Could you clarify, please? :)
Thank you!
The crucial scanner only suggests drives compatible with your hardware. Generally the ones that are Guaranteed to work, will work.