Laptop to TV Connection for Video

Clive744

Hi Everyone

I will say sorry if all this seems a bit long winded, but I really am not sure what I’m doing and I don’t want to damage anything electrically by making the wrong connections, so I’m giving as much information as possible on the setup I have at the moment.

I’ve got an old Topfield video recorder which is connected to my TV via a ribbon cable.

Sometimes when the hard drive on the Topfield gets full, I’ve transferred some of the video recordings onto another external hard drive, namely a Seagate using a usb cable and a program on my laptop called Antares.

When space has become available on the Topfield I’ve copied the recordings back onto it using the same method as above.

I think the usb connection on the Topfield is no longer working because I can no longer copy from the Seagate back onto it even after buying a new usb cable.

I don’t think it’s a fault of the Seagate because I can watch the video recordings which are on it via my laptop using a usb cable for connection.

I’d like to watch the recordings which are on the Seagate via my Smart TV as it’s a much larger screen than the laptop.

I’ve been told I can’t simply connect the Seagate to the Smart TV using a usb cable as the TV will not recognise the format the recording are in, Iv’e further been told it can be done if I daisy chain connect the Seagate to the laptop using a usb cable and then run a cable from the laptop to the Smart TV.

Can someone confirm if indeed, I will have to daisy chain connect it???

If I do have to daisy chain connect, what cable/s will I need in order to make it work???

I’ve included some photos, hopefully from them someone out there can tell me what I need to do.

My thanks to anyone who can help

Clive

Lamptop 1.JPGLaptop 2.JPGTV Connections.jpg

DavidG

Have you actually tried connecting the seagate via USB to the smart TV.? If you can view the videos on the laptop then you should be able to view the output to the TV via the laptop and an appropriate cable. The laptop looks to have both a display port and a VGA port - either if these could be used (preferably the display port). You would need a display port to HDMI cable or a VGA-HDMI converter should work.

Last edited: