laptop wireless cards not being recognized

computeruler

So I have 2 laptops, a compaq v5000 and f700. I replaced the motherboard in the v5000, and baked the f700 motherboard. Theyre both working, besides the wireless. When I got them they didn't have a wireless card, so I bought 2 realtek 8187b mini pci express cards off ebay. I put them in the laptops and they weren't recognized in device manager. I've tried updating the bios, reseating the cards, installing drivers, all that stuff. Also these aren't the type of cards that they originally came with. So my question is, if I get the original type of card, would it possibly work? Or should I just buy a usb wireless adapter or something. Also the aux antenna wire on the v5000 was broken so I took an old one from another laptop and soldered it on there if that makes a difference. Thanks

Dell_Priyanka_S

Bit Member
So I have 2 laptops, a compaq v5000 and f700. I replaced the motherboard in the v5000, and baked the f700 motherboard. Theyre both working, besides the wireless. When I got them they didn't have a wireless card, so I bought 2 realtek 8187b mini pci express cards off ebay. I put them in the laptops and they weren't recognized in device manager. I've tried updating the bios, reseating the cards, installing drivers, all that stuff. Also these aren't the type of cards that they originally came with. So my question is, if I get the original type of card, would it possibly work? Or should I just buy a usb wireless adapter or something. Also the aux antenna wire on the v5000 was broken so I took an old one from another laptop and soldered it on there if that makes a difference. Thanks

Hi,
My name is Priyanka and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

I would suggest that if after installing the PCI cards it’s still not getting detected, than the best and easy way is to use external usb wireless cards, which are plug in play. Some usb wireless cards also come with the driver cds to load the software and the drivers.

The connection procedure remains the same wherein you would see the wireless icon in the task bar and you need to click on the user name you are using and if you are using a wireless password you need to type it in.And you are ready to go.

Please reply if anymore queries.
Thanks and Regards
DELL_Priyanka_S
Dell Social Media Responder