Laptop won't boot, just black screen

Donnalee

I set my Acer Aspire to boot from USB.
Now when I boot it up, all I get is a black screen.
The USB flash drive blinks like it is running, but like I said, all I get is a black screen.
Hope someone has at least one suggestion.
Thanks,
Donnalee

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What is on the usb? Does it boot with the usb disconnected? If it does, then there is something up with the usb. It's either not bootable or It wasn't made properly.

Donnalee

Windows 10 is on the USB flash drive.
The screen is black no matter how I try to boot, with or without the flash drive.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you turn it on do you get anything like the acer logo to appear and then go black? How old is this laptop?

I would say there is a hardware issue somewhere. With this being a laptop, its gonna be harder to track down. First thing I would do is unplug charger and remove battery from laptop if possible, then press power button and hold for 10 seconds. Reconnect everything and try booting up. This procedure may have reset the cmos.

Donnalee

When you turn it on do you get anything like the acer logo to appear and then go black? How old is this laptop?

I would say there is a hardware issue somewhere. With this being a laptop, its gonna be harder to track down. First thing I would do is unplug charger and remove battery from laptop if possible, then press power button and hold for 10 seconds. Reconnect everything and try booting up. This procedure may have reset the cmos.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That's not a good sign. Usually means a hardware failure. could be HDD, motherboard, or something else.

DavidG

If it is less than a year old you should have some warranty with Acer, I would contact them before fiddling any further