Laser mouse activity

MartinV

Which program do I need to use to track the activity of my mouse? I know you can track the movement visually on your PC. I have a laser mouse, but there's no problem if you can tell me the answer for an optical one. I need a software that can tell me what does the mouse see or read.
I want to use the sensor to make a door alarm and use that movement tracking program in MATLAB to generate a code so I can see any more significant changes in the zone viewed by the sensor.
Thanks in advance

MyCattMaxx

The optical mouse has a very tiny depth of perception.
Just lift your mouse off the pad less than 1" and it quits working.
Not good for a door alarm.
Also if you want it to read an area it is not a good idea to be spraying laser light around where it can get in someones eyes.

Last edited:

MartinV

There's no danger of the light touching someone's eye. And I'm only making this as a small home project, I don't expect it to work great or anything. I want to do this in order to learn some practical stuff, so the depth isn't really important because I can stick it really near the door.
I found some programs that track the movement but that's not what I can use as a signal to be analyzed.
Any suggestions on how to get to those signals? Or pictures (in optical mouses)?