Latest RAM for Lenovo G450 Model

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It seems we can't tell you otherwise so you do what you need to do. Don't partition the 240gb drive though. If you do, you will run out of space on one of the partitions. If you are only running 3gb of ram, then you definitely need to upgrade to the 8gb.
500 GB (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B077SQ8J1V/ref=twister_B08GMRWVVQ) is too costly more than twice the cost of 240 GB.

That specific SSD won't even work in your machine. Its the wrong type. Why can't you just buy this one?

How much used drive space do you currently have? Show me an image of it, like this.

hard drive space.jpg

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So you have about 145gb free on a 320gb drive, so you are using about 175gb of space. So that means if you buy a 240gb SSD and only use that, you'll still have 60gb free. To be honest, I would clone the drive to the SSD and be done. Just warning you that the current drive you have will not last forever, its getting pretty old at this point. Forget about the caddy and using both SSD and HDD. Either buy the 240 or the 480 and roll with it. To be honest, you need to start saving and put the money to newer laptop. Thats what I would do

c21

but this laptop has been running smoothly for past 11 years pretty well only first time i realized issue in it when windows 7 was replaced with windows 10 and just opening any pdf file it has been hanging after that upgrade so what's wrong in having 240 gb ssd and two 4gb rams and buy caddy and put current harddisk in it and remove dvd rom from this and make the best use of ssd and hard disk,RAMs all together rather than buying a newer costlier laptop here?

c21

I did not mean the way it might have sounded ,I am sorry if anyone has felt bad but simply i wanted to say newer laptop is going to cost too much rather than the cost of upgrading this existingone lenovo g450 laptop model.

So If experts on this forum think that I am wrong here then kindly advise why my thinking is wrong here?

Thanks much...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
We have already explained. Can't get any more clearer than what was already mentioned. If it's really 11 years old then the laptop needs to be retired. Save up money for a new one before the laptop totally breaks down.

c21

Who says that if laptop becomes 11 year old then it must be retired what is the logic in it?

I mean If it has been running fine till the point I got Windows 10 installed in it ( on windows 7 it was running very smoothly earlier) then why suddenly I should think to retire it rather than analyzing the root cause of it's hanging and slowness, which I think have been able to find like:- 1) Not proper space was allocated in C drive for this Window 10
2) If RAMs are upgraded ,I mean existingones are replaced with two 4GB RAMs 3) If I use SSD 240 GB considering the cost of higher range SSDs and my usage etc. along with combination of HardDisk 4) Properly partitioning SSD and Hard disk to make the best use of memory management

So I think based on discussion so far on this forum if I work properly on above 4 points then no need to buy costlier laptop currently.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Thanks much...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
1) Not proper space was allocated in C drive for this Window 10
You've got plenty of free space left on Drive C which is windows 10.
2) If RAMs are upgraded ,I mean existingones are replaced with two 4GB RAMs
That would help

3) If I use SSD 240 GB considering the cost of higher range SSDs and my usage etc. along with combination of HardDisk
I've already told you how much free space you would have if you just cloned the HDD to the SDD and do not even put the HDD back in. What is your usage? Do you plan on storing 60gb more of files/programs? Do you have a way to backup the old drive in case disaster strikes? Mechanical drives die quite often. SSD's can last a long time.
So I think based on discussion so far on this forum if I work properly on above 4 points then no need to buy costlier laptop currently.
Again, do you what you want to do, ignore what we've told you already. I've explained the same thing over and over again. If you can't understand the logic of what we are saying then I don't know. I would have built 2 new desktops in the 11 years you've had that laptop. I've been in my apartment for 13 years and I've had 3 desktops already. I don't trust old hardware. But if you want to use 11 year old hardware as your daily pc then go for it.

I understand the money aspects but I'm warning you of the downfalls.

4) Properly partitioning SSD and Hard disk to make the best use of memory management
Again, do not partition the SSD if you are gonna have that small of a drive, doesn't make sense. Memory management has nothing to do with hard drives.

c21

So 1) is 6.44 GB free space sufficient to run windows 10 ,if yes? then Why this system is unable to open any pdf even if able to open then parallelly if we try to open any other pdf files or any other word document or ppt etc. then why it starts hanging? not because of this less space in C drive? As Windows 10 takes around 30 GB space on a disk.

2) Yes, In case I plan to store more data /files, software etc. then I am willing to keep my Hard disk as an additional storage here and noting the point that SSD can last a long time compared to harddisk, but currently unwilling to spend more money on SSD too( maximum planning to spend for 240 GB SSD only considering the cost of higher GBs SSD and already available Hard disk of size 320 GB with me ).

2) It depends from person to person's experience and choice as well for example some people would even like to change their old computer/laptop ,hardware etc. every year or within every two year also but for some people would want to keep it running and using it as long as possible.

3) Why do you think dividing or partitioning 240 GB SSD in equal parts one (120 GB ) for Windows 10 and rest 120 GB for Data and other software etc. is a bad idea here ? Memory management here I meant for example in my current case there was not sufficient space in my C drive where Windows 10 is installed had I partitioned it in a better way like If I would have dedicatedly kept 120 or 100 GB for C drive itself and rest other storage for software and other data storage etc. then I am sure I would not have faced this issue, please let me know if experts have different opinions here.

Thanks....

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So 1) is 6.44 GB free space sufficient to run windows 10 ,if yes? then Why this system is unable to open any pdf even if able to open then parallelly if we try to open any other pdf files or any other word document or ppt etc. then why it starts hanging? not because of this less space in C drive? As Windows 10 takes around 30 GB space on a disk.
Your c drive already has windows and other things on it. And the bar shows blue which means space is okay for now, when it turns red, thats when you worry. You currently have 16.5 percent free space on the c drive. If you upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 without doing a fresh clean install this is where you might be having your issue since there are a lot hiccups when upgrading directly instead of doing a fresh install.
3) Why do you think dividing or partitioning 240 GB SSD in equal parts one (120 GB ) for Windows 10 and rest 120 GB for Data and other software etc. is a bad idea here ? Memory management here I meant for example in my current case there was not sufficient space in my C drive where Windows 10 is installed had I partitioned it in a better way like If I would have dedicatedly kept 120 or 100 GB for C drive itself and rest other storage for software and other data storage etc. then I am sure I would not have faced this issue, please let me know if experts have different opinions here.
You see drive G in your image you posted? It has 96gb free, you can use that for storage as well. Drive F has 12gb free. You can leave the SSD all one drive, install windows and programs there. Later if you feel you are running out space on the other hard drive then you can just partition the SSD using minitool partition wizard. Do you still use the python drive? If not, delete it. What files are local disk F and new volume G? You could actually combine those into 1 partition and have a combined free space of 108gb. If the python partition isn't bootable then you should have created a folder instead. That would be a combined free space of almost 140gb. You could have added 40gb to your windows partition and still have 100gb free to play with and only having 2 partitions instead of 4. So make folders instead of partitions on a small drive unless a certain partition needs to be bootable like linux or another OS.

But who am I. You asked for help and we gave it. If you don't want to listen. thats fine. I hope things work out good for you, let us know.

beers

Staff member
You have another issue, probably resource contention or malware. 4GB in 2021 suuucksss to try to use productively.
3) Why do you think dividing or partitioning 240 GB SSD in equal parts one (120 GB ) for Windows 10 and rest 120 GB for Data and other software etc. is a bad idea here ?
Why do you think it's a good idea here?

c21

You have another issue, probably resource contention or malware. 4GB in 2021 suuucksss to try to use productively.

Why do you think it's a good idea here?
I don't think or I am not sure whether there is any contention or malware, only thing which I can think of is of lesser space in C drive which is prohibiting working of system properly.

I think it's a good idea to partition 240 GB SSD as in the worst case if one of it's partition gets damaged then other partition could help like if I install OS in one of it's partition (I mean SSD 's partition ) and data in other partition of SSD then in case if OS gets damaged or I need to reinstall OS then Data will be secured in other partition of SSD and I would only need to reinstall OS in other Partition of SSD.

Secondly I think it's a good idea to partition this 240 GB SSD because in second partition of 120 GB I could download and store some software and keep desired data and files for faster retrieval rather than accessing them from HardDisk.

Thanks....

Last edited:

c21

Your c drive already has windows and other things on it. And the bar shows blue which means space is okay for now, when it turns red, thats when you worry. You currently have 16.5 percent free space on the c drive. If you upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 without doing a fresh clean install this is where you might be having your issue since there are a lot hiccups when upgrading directly instead of doing a fresh install.

You see drive G in your image you posted? It has 96gb free, you can use that for storage as well. Drive F has 12gb free. You can leave the SSD all one drive, install windows and programs there. Later if you feel you are running out space on the other hard drive then you can just partition the SSD using minitool partition wizard. Do you still use the python drive? If not, delete it. What files are local disk F and new volume G? You could actually combine those into 1 partition and have a combined free space of 108gb. If the python partition isn't bootable then you should have created a folder instead. That would be a combined free space of almost 140gb. You could have added 40gb to your windows partition and still have 100gb free to play with and only having 2 partitions instead of 4. So make folders instead of partitions on a small drive unless a certain partition needs to be bootable like linux or another OS.

But who am I. You asked for help and we gave it. If you don't want to listen. thats fine. I hope things work out good for you, let us know.
1. Do you mean here In case in future in SSD if i feel there is lesser space or SSD card is running out of space (If I do not partition my 240 GB SSD )then I can partition SSD using minitool partition wizard without formatting and reinstalling Windows 10 in SSD?

2. What partition space recommendation would you like to provide in case i wish to have Windows 7 and Linux both OS with in 320 GB hard disk apart from keeping Windows 10 separately within SSD?

3. Also in case I have 480 GB SSD then What partition space would experts here recommend for Windows 10 considering 4GB RAM.

Thanks so much...

Thanks....

Last edited: