legal or not legal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mati5

Hi everybody!
I have a question. Has anybody ever heard about site www.ibackups.net they sell photo shop v8 for 150$. I've been wondering weather it is legal or not. Adobe on its site sells the same product for 650...
Thanks in advance for anwsers!!!
Cheers!
Mat

SFR

Truth fears no questions
mati5 said:
Hi everybody!
I have a question. Has anybody ever heard about site www.ibackups.net they sell photo shop v8 for 150$. I've been wondering weather it is legal or not. Adobe on its site sells the same product for 650...
Thanks in advance for anwsers!!!
Cheers!
Mat

9.1 You understand that in order for iBackups.net to make you a copy of any software, you acknowledge that you are the legal owner of this same software, and are looking to just make a new copy for archival (backup) purposes only. You also agree to destroy all copies of the software in the event it is ever no longer voluntarily in your possession. You understand that only the licensed owner (with a valid serial number, where applicable) of the various software found on iBackups.net may use the services located here. You also acknowledge that the software you have was obtained legally and that you have the legal right to request this backup copy to be made. If you obtained your version though any other means, including any pirated versions, or if you do not already legally own the same version of the software requested, then you may not use this service. Furthermore, you agree to hold iBackups.net harmless for any damages that may occur for your failure to follow the U.S. Copyright and other laws as they pertain to the backup you are requesting. When you purchase any backup copy of software through iBackups.net, you agree to assume full liability in the event your actions are deemed illegal. iBackups.net does not condone software piracy and has every intention of complying with the laws pertaining to the duplication of software.

http://www.ibackups.net/index.php?main=policies&sub=termsofuse

I surmise that if you follow the rules, then it is legal.. even in California.

red onion

Stay away from it. It is not really legal for what you want to do. It's like buying a rolex on the street corner.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
red onion said:
Stay away from it. It is not really legal for what you want to do. It's like buying a rolex on the street corner.

Well, I have some legally bought software, and I wouldnt mind having an 'archival' copy of it ... ....

lol

SFR

Truth fears no questions
red onion said:
The legality of this is most dubious

In reality you have every right to make an 'archival' backup of any software.

How they stretched it to include buying software from a company for less money only to be stored incase your legally purchased copy malfunctions is hilarious.

I thought that was self-evident by reading my first post. All you have to do is read the bold/italicized and blue sections ...and think ;)

red onion

SFR said:
In reality you have every right to make an 'archival' backup of any software.

How they stretched it to include buying software from a company for less money only to be stored incase your legally purchased copy malfunctions is hilarious.

I thought that was self-evident by reading my first post. All you have to do is read the bold/italicized and blue sections ...and think ;)
I agree, but it is most questionable if you have to buy an archived copy from a third party. Their system *may* be legal, but it is disreputable, and wide open to abuse.

mati5

wow! I must have overlooked an essential term of the contract :p, thnx guys for saving me 150 $ :)))
but what do you need ibackups for if you can get cd with the program for the same price as a download (649 each on adobe site??)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
but what do you need ibackups for if you can get cd with the program for the same price as a download

That is the point, LEGALLY there is no reason.

Okay, we agree it is illegal. I was just trying to be more subtle about it.

..if someone disagrees with me, send me a PM. But since it seems to be illegal, or at least questionable...in order to keep with the forum rules... EOF

End Of Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.