Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • What's Lightscribe

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Geoff

VIP Member
it may seem like a good idea, to be able to burn dvd/cd labels right on the cd, but what it really is is a special dvd/cd that had some sort of label/adhesive thing on it, and the burner inscribes it with a laser (i think). Bad news, they cost a lot more, i saw 10 DVD-R's for $10 or something. When you can get 25 of them for $5 at a good sale. I would just get a label creater program and put them on.

kof2000

lightscribe cd-r cost pretty much the same as the regular ones though. i saw 50 of them selling for 8 dollars.

jpwarz

Lightscripe is a great technology but there are some problems that I see with it. First is the discs are a little more expensive and requires special discs. Anything that requires something other than the standard is a pain. Another issue is that the only major company that is licensing the technology is HP which causes the costs of the drives to be higher since there is little to none competition. I think that Lightscribe has the potential to become the new standard for burning technology but they need to work on color label burning and more companies need to license the technology. Another great idea would be a drive with two lazers, one on top and the other on the bottom so that you don't have to flip the disc. There are my 2 cents on Lightscribe.

Geoff

VIP Member
thats the other thing, they wont turn out like if you made a label on the computer and printed it out on a cd label.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Well, here's the run-down on Lightscribe from my perspective...

First the good:
1. Provides a built-in label that's a lot cleaner and looks very crisp and nice when finished.
2. Not terribly more expensive than a normal cd, especially when on sale, and when compared to printable CD's.
3. Fairly simple technology to use from a basic users standpoint.

Now the bad:
1. Only in gold coloring, looks kinda weird although they will be making them full color by Christmas of this year (at least that's what they say...).
2. Incredible amount of time for them to be made (upwards of a half hour), must resolve this issue for it to be accepted in the mainstream.
3. HP-only product, must become more widely available for it to be more widely accepted (obvious, I know).

Overall, as a concept it's a cool idea, and I like it... But they need to get that burn time down a considerable amount and follow through on the full-color promise before I will completely jump on the bandwagon... :)

Geoff

VIP Member
its not an hp-only product, other companies make them, newegg has many that are made by different companies, along with the media. Unless you mean that its the only computer manufacturer that uses them.

DanLatimer

jpwarz said:
Lightscripe is a great technology but there are some problems that I see with it. First is the discs are a little more expensive and requires special discs. Anything that requires something other than the standard is a pain.
you can still use standard disks but you cant make labels with them

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
I havent really heard much about this lightscribe, it sounds as if could be a great success. Manufacturers have to get teething problems outta the way and it will be sorted.

ripken2004

what it can to is simply amazing but in the long run it sucks b/c it wares off and kills the disk faster than normal

now dont flame me here but thats just what ive heard from other ppl and reviews

im getting an HP with a lightscribe drive today, but i doubt i will ever use the lightscribe feature, just cause i dont wanna pay an extra 25 per CD (it does add up...)
and i can always mark it with a label maker

Good idea but it just hasn't inovated enough yet

Bluewolf

I like the Idea and I like HP. All of my desktops to this point have been HP. I'm building a computer and will hopefully have it before Christmas and I will most likley get a Light scribe drive for it, even if it's not my primary CD drive.