Linux and external hard drive

SpringWater

Is it possible that an external hard drive with files from a windows computer on it, doesn't work on a linux machine? Because its showing up, and doesn't let me view the files...

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
What type of files? Chances are your linux box just doesn't have the necessary software to handle those files (or are you actually getting an error of some kind?) The fact that the files originated from a Windows computer shouldn't matter in the slightest...

SpringWater

I think I just answered my own question, I wanted to use the external hard drive to install linux on it because my 320gb hdd broke. The problem was that I formated the hard drive on a windows computer using the NTFS file system. The only question remaining is: How in the world did I manage to install linux on it ? :confused:...the os itself works and it lets me install apps, the only problem is that I can't check how much space I have left on my hard drive. I guess I will have to format it properly and reinstall linux.

wolfeking

banned
NTFS is a windows file system. You need to use a linux supported file system. EXT4 is pretty common, or ZFS too. Either of these will allow you to install linux to teh external HDD.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
The problem was that I formated the hard drive on a windows computer using the NTFS file system. The only question remaining is: How in the world did I manage to install linux on it ?
Chances are that the installer partitioned and formatted the disc appropriately with a Linux filesystem. Unless, of course, you manually made it use the windows partition (which might be possible though I have never tried)... in that case, it would have to be using the kernel driver for NTFS which is crap and has probably mounted the partition as read-only (the kernel ntfs driver at least used to be notorious for losing data when writing), which could be the reason for your trouble.

the only problem is that I can't check how much space I have left on my hard drive. I guess I will have to format it properly and reinstall linux.
"df -h" (without the quotes) should tell you the available space on all mounted devices... however, if you really managed to install Linux on an NTFS partition, then I agree, reinstalling is probably your best option.