Linux for the newbie

gibb89

I have windows XP on my laptop and for some reason after reading up on linux i have become fasinated with it.
is there a way i can install linux on my laptop but while keeping xp, would partitaning work (soz for spelling) and if so will it cause any damage.
if this cant be done, i have a 4 yr old computer that i would like to put linux on can you tell me which version i need as there are loads out there so i have heard.
Thanks

MAC101

If you want to take the easy way out on your laptop try Knoppix or Slax. These boot and run right from a cd. If you want to run Linux and XP right from your hard drive then partitioning will work just fine and if you do everything right there should be no damage.

This is a great site to keep up on all of the different Linux distros...

http://distrowatch.com/

gibb89

ok then I want to go for mandrake, how would i go about installing it.
My laptop has one 60Gb hard drive that has already been partioned into 3 bits.
1st 8Gb is used for a restore feature and its untouchable, 2nd bit only has 5 Gb left because I have all my system files and program files on there and the 3rd has 32Gb left, it contasins all my documents and stuff. So which partion would I install it on, and how would I install it. Lastly are the any free full versions of linux.
Thanks