Linux?

Punk

Staff member
Can you toss a HD in there you can just wipe out completely and start from scratch? It sounds to me like corruption of hardware failure.

I have 11 GB of pictures and 16GB left on my Master HD.

Is there any way I can format just the partition I want to use for Linux?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Try nuking the partition, and making it all NTFS again. Gparted Live should be able to do that with out losing data. However, you always run the risk of data loss so back it up before hand, but you are already backing everything up right?

Then just download virtual PC from microsoft here, it is free:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

Then install VPC and create a new virtual machine and use the Linux ISO you downloaded to create it. If it installs and errors out you got a bad download. You also don't have to mess with partitions and if the Linux machine crashes and you or you don't want it anymore all you have to do is delete the virtual machine and your windows side is never fussed with.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Where is it going to install it?

On my second HD?

Thanks for the help.

It creates a virtual hard drive, so it installs as a virtual disk basically on your system. If it gets screwed up or you don't want it anymore just delete it and you don't ever have to fuss with partitions and dual booting.

Now, once you find out you like Linux more and want to run it native then you can install it on the hard drive physically.

Punk

Staff member
Now, once you find out you like Linux more and want to run it native then you can install it on the hard drive physically.

The thing is that I can't have go through an installation... The same error appears.

concorde

I would just dive in and format your hard drive BUT SAVE AND BURN YOUR FILES THAT YOU WANT to a CD before you do this! You can keep pictures and Word Docs and such. Just remember to download a MP3 plugin as MP3 isn't included with Linux typically. Then you will be set.