location (drive) unavailable - what the...?

novicegeek

Hi all,

So, I just turned on my computer a few days back and got the message saying that the location of my drive is unavailable. See below. Sorry, I'd attach it in a file, but the place where I save my pics is on said drive.

1696793533254.png

So, a little explanation: my desktop has two hard drives. The C drive is where most of my stuff is located, but I later added the K drive for more storage (neither are network drives). It worked great until now. When it first happened, I moved the connections a little, because I felt that the SATA cable going into the motherboard was coming into the motherboard at a bit of an angle. The first few times I adjusted the cable and turned the computer on, it worked. Then, when that no longer provided the results I was looking for, I swap out SATA cables and it's back to the drive being unavailable again.

The K Drive is still showing in the navigation pane in Windows Explorer, but of course, it provides me this message when I try to click it. When I ask, Command Prompt looks at me like it doesn't know what I'm talking about.

Both hard drives are Samsung EVO 850s with C: being 500GB and K: being 1TB.

Does anyone have an idea of what I might do next? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks all.

novicegeek

Of course. You know, at one point, I that did briefly crossed my mind, but then it just as quickly passed. I'm trying that now. Thanks, John.

novicegeek

My motherboard has six SATA ports, five of which are in use. I moved one cable over and stuck the cable for the K Drive in port I just pulled a cable out of, but I'm sorry to report that did not work. More frustrating by the minute.

beers

Staff member
Usually 'swap cable swap port' is the extent of it unless you had a USB enclosure or adapter to also test with.

I'd see if you even get anything in fdisk but otherwise if you replace a known good device on the end of a known good run with this one and it doesn't function, it may simply have given up the ghost. Do you see anything in Samsung Magician?