Locked Computer

pablow

Could anyone offer any advice. When I start up the computer goes into windows 98. Then when I try to go into a programme it locks. I then press ctrl alt del but get a blue screen that says there is a problem with drive c.

When I shut it down again and restart I just get a black screen with a boot error which asks me to insert a boot disc in drive a. I haven’t got a boot disk, where could I get one and do you think I have lost all my files on drive c.

Thanks for any help…………..

UrbanDragon

it initially sounds like your Hard Drive is failing.

First Thing, Boot into SAFE MODE (start tapping the F5 key when you turn your computer on and it should direct it into safe mode)

going into SAFE MODE will eleminate most Startup items)
which could cause the next bit to lockup and not work properly.

Now that you are in Safe mode go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System tools, and click on scandisk. let it scan and fix any errors with your system. Next, Run defrag by going through the same procedures except click defrag instead of scandisk.:)

If you cant find them from Start>programs>? go to start>run and type "scandisk" or "defrag" without the quotes to get the appropriate application to run.
(WARNING: Defrag will take quite a while especially if you have never ran it before so be prepared to wait on it a couple hours.)

If all goes well go back into "Normal Mode" by letting the computer restart normally. If you have further problems you may need to eleminate some startup programs, (Definition: programs starting up on windows startup that run in the background, Ex. Any icon at the bottom right hand of your screen on the exact oposite of the START button.)

Post back if you feel the need to do this and I will give instructions on how to.

mickeymouse

ye, thats whaty i would have done... however if this doesn';t work, try adding hard drive as a slave to another machine... that is add the hard drive to another machine that doesn't boot off your disk. Hopefully only the boot area is corrupt and you can still read and recover ur files. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
First Thing, Boot into SAFE MODE (start tapping the F5 key when you turn your computer on and it should direct it into safe mode)
Been awhile since I used the older OS's but isnt it F8 :p

When I shut it down again and restart I just get a black screen with a boot error which asks me to insert a boot disc in drive a. I haven’t got a boot disk, where could I get one and do you think I have lost all my files on drive c.
1. I think the boot section of the drive is shot meaning you'll probably have to frag the partitions and start over meaning your data is probably lost (unless you can backup using another machine)

2. You can make a bootdisk via any Windows machine. Format a floppy but specify to copy the sytem files. You might even still be able to download Windows98 Bootdisks from Microsoft.com

UrbanDragon

I just had to respond.

Quoting Praetor.
Been awhile since I used the older OS's but isnt it F8

Actually the F5 takes you directly to safe mode, the F8 function gives you the boot menu where you can choose Safe Mode, Normal Mode and I think Command Prompt only.

But yeah your sure right. It has been a while. Gotta remember the good ole days. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Wow i cant say ive ever used the "direct" method LOL .... you're right though :) i guess it has been a long time :D

Dixie

Your Computer Is F****D, Upgrade to Windows XP, If you want to stay with windows 98 your mad. Save as much work as you can be putting the hard drive in another computer and copying over the files.