look for a notebook computer

joycec

i am looking for a notebook computer but do not know which one to buy.

my budget is around $1000 ~ $1100.

i know the centrino is longer battery life but most centrino technology are limited to pentinum M 1.5 ~ 1.8 ghz. regular note book can go to pentinum M 3.2~ 3.3Ghz.

this notebook will be used at home most of the time and 1 - 2 times take out for a business meeting. so, 99% power is not a problem.

i need the notebook in updating my website, upload picture, use of photoshop, working on the accounting for my business, browsing on the internet, interet talk to china, hong kong, taiwan, sometime little games to kill time.

i want a reliable computer but fast enough to work on these areas?

anyone has a suggestion?

i see frys or outpost.com have regularly
intel mobile pentium 4 processor 538 with ht technology 3.2ghz notebook with 15.4" wxga true brite screen
microsoft home xp
512 ram
40Gb
double layer dvd rw
special this $999 ~ $1049

is this computer good?

there are other choice of HP centrio 1.6Ghz 512Ram 60Gb notebook special for $1049

can someone give some experience opinion and suggestion on what to buy?

:confused: :)

alanuofm

VIP Member
1. There is no such thing as pentium M 3.2~3.3 ghz.
2. You are probably confusing centrino with being a processor. It is in fact just a combination of the pentium M processor, with intel pro wireless NIC, and intel 855/915 chipset.
3. if you are not familiar with the pentium M processor, rating it soly based off of the clock speed is like trying to compared an AMD to a pentium 4. Pentium M's have efficient clocks and do not need a high clock rate to execute instructions.
4. For your usage, you would be very well off with a pentium M. It will probably be more than enough for you. The pentium 4 5x1 series can get fairly hot and the noise of the fan can be bothersome.
5. Look into dell, toshiba, acer, emachines, gateways. if you are willing to shell out a little more cash then an IBM would be an excellent business solution.

joycec

alan,

what is the pentium 4 or pentium M?

what is the speed different when you see pentium 4 3.3Ghz and pentium M 1.7Ghz?

so your suggestion is ibm is a better machine in the long run but a little more expensive?

i am not in a real hurry to buy a notebook as i have a desk top in office and a desk top at home. but the desktop at home is a little bit slow and sometime when i go out for a meeting, i may need a computer? so, i am doing more research and wait for a good deal to come out?

joycec

alan,

what do you think about this computer?
Lenovo offers its Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad R50e 1.6GHz 15" Notebook, model 1842QFU, with Pentium M 725 1.60GHz processor, 15" XGA LCD, 256MB RAM, 40GB hard drive, DVD/CD-RW combo drive, integrated 802.11g wireless, and Windows XP Home for $849.99. With free shipping!

alanuofm

VIP Member
alan,

what is the pentium 4 or pentium M?
processors made by intel. the pentium M is intels mobile processor.

what is the speed different when you see pentium 4 3.3Ghz and pentium M 1.7Ghz?
with your usage probably no difference at all. the pentium 1.6 in bench marks have shown to be as fast as the pentium 4 2.2~2.4 ghz. I have also seen benchmarks where an overclocked pentium M 2.133 overclocked to 2.46 top the charts. i have a pentium 1.6 and i absolutely love it. i use all the adobe programs and play some counter-strike every so often.

so your suggestion is ibm is a better machine in the long run but a little more expensive?
ibm's are generally more sturdy and very compact.

i am not in a real hurry to buy a notebook as i have a desk top in office and a desk top at home. but the desktop at home is a little bit slow and sometime when i go out for a meeting, i may need a computer? so, i am doing more research and wait for a good deal to come out?
there are deals all the time. im doing some calc stuff right now and quite busy i'll look up some stuff for you a little later or if some other nice forum citizens want they can help as well.

X24

Well, here i go:
That IBM that you mentioned isn't very good with its 256mb ram and 40gb hdd, i'd go with 512mb ram and 60gb hard drive.
Also, i asume that you want this laptop to be light, and also pack a little bit of a punch and have some battery life according to what you want to do with it.
My suggestion:

http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=B65990

nice acer, light, has a nice pm 1.7, 512mb ram, 80gb hdd, only bad thing is integrated graphics.

or

the one i personally wish i would have gotten instead of my I9300 since i am getting a gaming desktop:

http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=B73809

acer with a turion 1.6 512mb ram really light-weight 80gb hdd dvd burner ect.

either one of these will give you a decent amount of preformance, and i still haven't looked at laptops with gpu's like 9700's for around the price you are looking for yet, i'll get back to you when i have.

Advitiya Saxena

1.Yea thats the right advice....Go fr Pentium M, they will be more reliable than there Super Hot brother P4.

2.But keep in mind Pentium M are designed for mobility and not for power. If u wanna go fr P4 3.2 Ghz make sure the machine is big enough to cool down quickly, what they say a desktop replacment.

3. The HDD should not be less than 60GB for ur use, may b 5400rpm.

4. Ram needed fr photoshop is atleast 512MB (Fr smooth work ;) )

5. Also see if u can get some Discrete graphix memory.

alanuofm

VIP Member
Well, here i go:
That IBM that you mentioned isn't very good with its 256mb ram and 40gb hdd, i'd go with 512mb ram and 60gb hard drive.
Also, i asume that you want this laptop to be light, and also pack a little bit of a punch and have some battery life according to what you want to do with it.
My suggestion:

http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=B65990

nice acer, light, has a nice pm 1.7, 512mb ram, 80gb hdd, only bad thing is integrated graphics.

keep in mind what shes doing with the laptop. nothing heavy at all. and that acer is pretty nice.

the one i personally wish i would have gotten instead of my I9300 since i am getting a gaming desktop:

http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=B73809

acer with a turion 1.6 512mb ram really light-weight 80gb hdd dvd burner ect.
ewww an apple looking laptop. apples are alright but i think there looks are too girlish. dood check out the toshiba m55 they are amazing looking.

2.But keep in mind Pentium M are designed for mobility and not for power. If u wanna go fr P4 3.2 Ghz make sure the machine is big enough to cool down quickly, what they say a desktop replacment.

not really

4. Ram needed fr photoshop is atleast 512MB (Fr smooth work )

doesnt take much memory to run adobe photoshop/ any of there imaging products.

5. Also see if u can get some Discrete graphix memory.
dedicated?

joycec

thank you all responses. good suggestion. i will do a little more research !
1. i do not know the problem on acer tm 4652 "integrated graphics" problem.
2. i do not know what is "discrete graphix memory", is it the same as cache memory?
3. is acer a good reliable computer
4. is technoweb a reasonable price place to shop and good customer service and honest company to buy from?
5. any other good place to buy to compare?

joycec

hi, what do you think about this IBM notebook compared with acer, the only different is harddisk memory, i do not how many is this ibm cache memory, 1Mb or 2Mb.
this ibm has a multiple burner, but only 1.6Ghz and harddisk 60ghz where acer has 1.7Ghz and 80Ghz, which one will you, ibm is cheaper since there is free shipping and acer has $13 shipping. thanks for all your time???

DVD burner
ThinkPad R50e
Performance Value
$1,099 Sale price*
free shipping!
Rescue and Recovery™
Access Connections
System specifications
Processor and wireless
Intel Pentium M processor 725a (1.60GHz)2
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g)14
Operating system Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional6
Display 15" XGA TFT (1024x768)
System memory 512MB3 DDR SDRAM
Hard drive 60GB4 Hard Drive
Optical device Multi-burner Plus with DVD Burner
Battery 1-year limited warranty8

X24

yes specs on acer are better, but i think IBM's are better built......but i do belive that ibm is an old model, and the core of the PM isn't the newer better ones.

EDIT:
How can u not like the averatec's looks and like the dell's blue on dark grey? or the white on silver?
i mean, i love the way that averatec looks, and it weighs half as much as my I9300.....if only it had a dedicated GPU so i could play BF 1942 atleast......i would sell this thing and buy it in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

joycec

vanns.com has this one for backorder for $1099.5
Sony VAIO® FS Notebook PC (VGN-FS630/W)
SON VGNFS630W
• Pentium® M processor 740
• 15.4” WXGA display
• 512MB of DDR memory
• 80GB hard drive
• CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive
• 802.11g/b technology
with window xp home

compare this with acer and averatec, these 3, which are are better.

i personally have not test the model in the store, usually, i need to go to any computer store and try to look for the same model and test them in any store to see if i like which of these 3 better before i buy one online. i have looked and try to save money for this computer for a while. i am not in a real hurry but i would like to buy one within 1 month.

thanks in advance for all your help?

:confused:

Yeti

VIP Member
Well, I can vouch for the Acer since I just bought that model about a month ago. I'd say as far as features it's the best one that you've listed. The features that sold me were the faster processor, DVD burner, DVI+VGA video outputs, and integrated card reader (along with the more standard HDD and memory features). The battery management software is nice; good battery life. Of course you could argue that an IBM or other brand is "better built", "more reliable" or whatnot, but in my opinion every brand of computers will have its share of problems. I would recommend going and trying them out, like you said. The touchpad on the Acer is quite usefull when you get used to it - it has an invisible touch scrollbar in the touchpad.