Looking for a new desktop - Need Advice/Recommendations

Thanks for that.

Yeah, any decent optical drives about for maybe $200? Regarding the HDD I was thinking of buying a small maybe, 64GB SSD drive and basically just use that for running my OS on? Is that a good idea, is it practical?

I've got a 320GB drive in my current PC but I'm not sure whether it would be compatible with the new setup. I've also got a 1.5TB Seagate external which I use to store my data. Could do with another one to back it all up!

What do you think?

Liteon and LG both make very good optical drives, as for the HDD, I would grab a fast 500gb such as a Western Digital Caviar Black, Samsung Spinpoint f3 or a Seagate Barracuda for storage and a SSD for the OS.

A good optical drive with light scrive will cost $25-40, non-blu-ray.

I have been thinking about SSD for a while but the cost and performance issues are making me wait. This is very new tech any I suspect the price and performance will improve very quickly. Once they do i will clone an SSD drive into the system.

If I did it over again I would do this, buy a 10k RPM 74G raptor for under $100
http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=10,000RPM&cat=0
This is a very fast HDD, it would let me know if I could live with the size etc. Then I would clone in an SSD in when the prices get to the right level.

If you old drive has a big ribbon cable dont even think about it.

That's not a bad HDD, but for the price it's just too expensive. 10000 rpm HDDs have a tendency to be loud and wear themselves out every few months. You'll be fine with a fast HDD & SSD (optional) for OS. Honestly, I reckon you'll be fine with just a HDD. SSDs are just to expensive at the moment.
 
Back
Top