Looking for a new digital camera

claptonman

So I am looking for a basic camera mostly for taking pictures and videos of my dog and other basic things. No professional photos or anything like that. My budget is around $50-75, but I have no idea where to start. Any good suggestions?

PCunicorn

Look around for used and refurb cameras. Most Samungs, Nikons, Sonys, and Cannons are fine, just look at the reviews if you find a good deal. For example i found a good deal on a sony but i looked at the reviews on Cnet and others and they said it didnt take good pictures of moving subjects like pets. Really though if possible i would use that money for a Lumia 920 or 925 from your carririer because those phones have better cameras then most sub $120 cameras.

Jamebonds1

So I am looking for a basic camera mostly for taking pictures and videos of my dog and other basic things. No professional photos or anything like that. My budget is around $50-75, but I have no idea where to start. Any good suggestions?

I would suggest Canon PowerShot A series. They're good camera. If you can, finding camera then show to us. We will tell opinion.

spirit

Staff member
Pretty much any point and shoot camera from one of the brands mentioned above will do. I used to own Sony point and shoots and they were decent.

G80FTW

It may not be of any use now, but I have a Nikon E990 which in 1999 was pretty much the top of the line point and shoot for Nikon. You can pick one up with extras for $40 on ebay now and the picture quality, even being 3.34MP is still better than any new sub $200 point and shoot. The video quality may be poor though, as it only shot in 640x480 but I didnt use it to take videos so I personally dont know what the quality looks like.

Also, these specs are wrong (odd coming from Nikon):
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/others/990/

The shutter speeds ranged from 1/3000 to 30 seconds and it had a bulb setting which is useful.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
I always had good luck with Sony point and shoots, owned 3 of them before I upgraded.

I'm not sure I'd be recommending you go and buy a camera from 1999 though, just a tad old. :/

@Claptonman, what is the picture quality of the camera on your phone like? Some of the higher end smartphones actually have cameras decent enough that they can replace a little point and shoot digital camera.

G80FTW

I always had good luck with Sony point and shoots, owned 3 of them before I upgraded.

I'm not sure I'd be recommending you go and buy a camera from 1999 though, just a tad old. :/

@Claptonman, what is the picture quality of the camera on your phone like? Some of the higher end smartphones actually have cameras decent enough that they can replace a little point and shoot digital camera.

I normally wouldnt either. I wish I still had good pictures from it, mine no longer works. It had a few flaws in its design, but as far as a budget camera goes its the best in my eyes. Given that it has many settings normally reserved for DSLR cameras and its sensor is able to make full use of all 3.34MP, unlike most camera phones and entry level point and shoot cameras that claim to have 20MP but cant manage to make good use of it filling alot of the space with noise.

Im sure there are more modern used cameras that are better, however I am only going off my own personal experience with the E990.

Last edited:

novicegeek

I have a Canon PowerShot A530 (which will give you an idea of how old it is). It's been a great camera for point and shoot. It does video as well. I've been very pleased with it.