Looking for a video card that can run new games on ULTRA

LambentTyto

I was recommended a GTX 1080, but the price is through the roof. Are there any other brands that can run new games on the highest settings that aren't seven hundred dollars? I remember a few years ago that you could get top end (not future proofed) video cards for around $300-350.

I think I'm going to be running an AMD rig, btw, if that helps. It's cheaper, right?

beers

Staff member
Prices believe it or not are coming back down. 1080Ti were going on eBay for $1k+ not that long ago, bitcoin falling a lot is starting to have an impact.

I think the next gen Nvidia cards are a couple months away, WCCF isn't always the most reliable but here: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...ores-2-5ghz-clock-titan-crushing-performance/

The AMD cards are still a bit gouged, you could pull off a 1070 for around that price which will be faster than a comparable AMD Vega card.

What kind of games do you play?

LambentTyto

Well, I guess I should be thankful they're coming down at least, but still, the prices. Outrageous! I'm on newegg right now looking at the 1070s. The cheapest ones are around $550. I still feel that's really expensive.

I generally like ti play triple A titles - mostly RPGs and shooters, but it's been a few years since I've played any new games. I sold my "box" and have just been playing on my laptop. Indie games mostly.

What sort of settings do you think I can run on these? These are what was originally suggested to me on reddit when I mentioned a compact rig.
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini ITX OC Video Card
AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

_Kyle_

Well, I guess I should be thankful they're coming down at least, but still, the prices. Outrageous! I'm on newegg right now looking at the 1070s. The cheapest ones are around $550. I still feel that's really expensive.

I generally like ti play triple A titles - mostly RPGs and shooters, but it's been a few years since I've played any new games. I sold my "box" and have just been playing on my laptop. Indie games mostly.

What sort of settings do you think I can run on these? These are what was originally suggested to me on reddit when I mentioned a compact rig.
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini ITX OC Video Card
AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Should be able to max almost everything.

LambentTyto

Good question. The 1080 is good for 4K at high settings. The 1060 should max about everything (some heavier games may need setting tweaking) at 1080p.
Oh, well, for my first build, I think that's totally fine. Thanks for clearing that up. I was assuming that since the 1060 is half as much that this card was kind of crap, lol.

OmniDyne

Oh, well, for my first build, I think that's totally fine. Thanks for clearing that up. I was assuming that since the 1060 is half as much that this card was kind of crap, lol.

It heavily depends on the game. A friend of mine has a Gigabyte 1060 6GB and Grand Theft Auto V hits it hard. He can't Ultra it by any means, but it'll hit 60 fps on high settings with Extended Distance Scaling turned off, and high resolution shadows turned off. My GTX 970 seems to perform the same.

My other friend has an MSI 1070, and it will Ultra GTA V at 60 fps, but with minor dips below 60.

A family member has a 1080 and it will MAX GTA at 144hz 4K, but he's also running a 7700K @ 5GHz.

But a 1060 will Ultra Overwatch or comparable first person shooters without a problem.

Last edited:

LambentTyto

It heavily depends on the game. A friend of mine has a Gigabyte 1060 6GB and Grand Theft Auto V hits it hard. He can't Ultra it by any means, but it'll hit 60 fps on high settings with Extended Distance Scaling turned off, and high resolution shadows turned off. My GTX 970 seems to perform the same.

My other friend has an MSI 1070, and it will Ultra GTA V at 60 fps, but with minor dips below 60.

A family member has a 1080 and it will MAX GTA at 144hz 4K, but he's also running a 7700K @ 5GHz.

But a 1060 will Ultra Overwatch or comparable first person shooters without a problem.

Yeah. But my budget doesn't really permit me to buy a thousand dollar GPU, lol. I'm going to have to role with the 1060. I'll survive even if I can't play every game on ultra settings.

OmniDyne

Yeah. But my budget doesn't really permit me to buy a thousand dollar GPU, lol. I'm going to have to role with the 1060. I'll survive even if I can't play every game on ultra settings.

I think you'll be happy with it. Compared to previous generations and how much money you used to have to spend to get the same performance, the 1060 is a great deal, I think.

Although I feel they could have made it 4 gigs instead of 6, and dropped the price some lol. Not sure that card could max the VRAM and play many titles smoothly.