Mr.Pancakes
New Member
I'm looking to build a new PC. After having been away at college for a while, and being confined to a laptop (and realizing I have really no need for laptops anymore) I want to build a PC.
My budget in this is going to be around 1,200 dollars. I don't want to go higher than that. I don't have really any more money.
Possible salvageable parts include a GForce FX 5900 Pro (256 mb) card that I have left, and an old, 4 fan (noisy as heck) case (I don't know anything about what the power supply specifics are.. only that it has 4 fans and makes a ton of noise.... and from the GForce card it reads it normally runs around 66 degrees inside the case). I'm not sure if any of these are useful, though, in something I'd build... or if I could maybe make use of one in the short team (like the video card) to save some money and upgrade the video card later to one that would work well with a matching monitor. (Currently, I also have an old SONY Vaio monitor from years and years ago...)
If anyone would like to make hardware suggestions, I'd be appreciative (and could use some of your expert opinions). I don't need/really want speakers... headphones work fine for me.
I'm just looking to create something, decent. It doesn't have to be top of the line, or the really expensive stuff. I just want to be able to play games again (something I cannot really do now with some of the ancient hardware I have).
Currently, I have no experience building a computer from (absolute) scratch. I do know how to do a few things (such as designating a HD master or slave, and putting in RAM, and new video cards... and I do know how to properly open a computer up and have a anti-static wrist band). However, I have no idea how to figure out which RAMs go best with what things, etc. If anyone knows of any good tutorials, I think I'm experienced enough to be able to read/learn about the process.
I appreciate all input you guys might have. Thanks for any help in advance.
ALSO! I might be able to do without an upgraded monitor (at first). If I can use my old monitor I can buy the monitor/keyboard/mouse later on. I have an old SONY Vaio monitor, a simple USB Mouse, and a simple USB keyboard too. Unless anyone thinks they can fit a monitor in that budget, but I doubt it. I could always save for it later. If you want to make suggestions (that go over my 1,200 budget) go for it, so I know what monitor/keyboard/mouse I need to save up for that exceed the 1,200 budget.
My budget in this is going to be around 1,200 dollars. I don't want to go higher than that. I don't have really any more money.
Possible salvageable parts include a GForce FX 5900 Pro (256 mb) card that I have left, and an old, 4 fan (noisy as heck) case (I don't know anything about what the power supply specifics are.. only that it has 4 fans and makes a ton of noise.... and from the GForce card it reads it normally runs around 66 degrees inside the case). I'm not sure if any of these are useful, though, in something I'd build... or if I could maybe make use of one in the short team (like the video card) to save some money and upgrade the video card later to one that would work well with a matching monitor. (Currently, I also have an old SONY Vaio monitor from years and years ago...)
If anyone would like to make hardware suggestions, I'd be appreciative (and could use some of your expert opinions). I don't need/really want speakers... headphones work fine for me.
I'm just looking to create something, decent. It doesn't have to be top of the line, or the really expensive stuff. I just want to be able to play games again (something I cannot really do now with some of the ancient hardware I have).
Currently, I have no experience building a computer from (absolute) scratch. I do know how to do a few things (such as designating a HD master or slave, and putting in RAM, and new video cards... and I do know how to properly open a computer up and have a anti-static wrist band). However, I have no idea how to figure out which RAMs go best with what things, etc. If anyone knows of any good tutorials, I think I'm experienced enough to be able to read/learn about the process.
I appreciate all input you guys might have. Thanks for any help in advance.
ALSO! I might be able to do without an upgraded monitor (at first). If I can use my old monitor I can buy the monitor/keyboard/mouse later on. I have an old SONY Vaio monitor, a simple USB Mouse, and a simple USB keyboard too. Unless anyone thinks they can fit a monitor in that budget, but I doubt it. I could always save for it later. If you want to make suggestions (that go over my 1,200 budget) go for it, so I know what monitor/keyboard/mouse I need to save up for that exceed the 1,200 budget.
Last edited: