Looking to get a new computer for home recording/gaming

badgerer

Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure I know what i want...but I want to check it over with people in the know. I'm looking to get a computer for home recording (obviously very intensive) and gaming (...obviously very intensive). I've been recommended to buy two hard drives so I can seperate between the two. I found a very good site (nsysonline.co.uk) where you can build your own custom computer, and I will be recycling keyboard, mouse etc from my old computer. Here are the specs:

Processor Athlon 64 3000+ processor
Memory 1GB DDR400 Crucial memory
Hard Drive 2 x 80GB SATA (RAID) 7200rpm hard drives
Optical 1 DVDRW (Dual Layer)
Graphics 128MB GeForce 6600
Floppy Drive 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Case Standard case, supplied with black matching drives, front USB
Power Supply Uprated 500W twin fan PSU
Case Midi Tower ATX
Motherboard Asus K8S-MX-EAYZ
Chipset SiS 760GX + 965L
Frontside Bus 800MHz
Memory 2 x 184-pin DDR400 maximum 2048Mb
AGP 1 x AGP x8, 1 x PCI Express x1
PCI 2 x PCI
USB 6 x USB 2.0 ports (2 on front of case)
IDE 2 x ATA133, 2 x SATA with RAID
Audio 6 channel
Network 10/100M RJ45 Ethernet (broadband ready)
Additional AMD Up to Athlon 64 3700+ / Sempron 3100+
Accessories Driver CD included

I hear these days Pentiums and Athlons are quite comparable, and Athlon is more recommended for recording, which will be the primary function of the computer. One thing I have no clue about is graphics card, but what I've selected is the highest end card on the selection.

One other thing, there is also the option to buy an Athlon PCI-Express system, which is more expensive. Why is it better? Should I think about splashing out a bit more on that system? My budget is around £500 (not including tax)

If you check out the site http://www.nsysonline.co.uk/Shop/Builder_Systems.asp?BC=346 then you can see if a better deal for my needs is possible. Thanks very much!

badgerer

Oh and one more thing, what is the upgradeability of this kind of machine? What I mean to say is, 2 years down the line or so, will I be able to add more processing power (it says its upgradeable to Athlon 64 3700+) and RAM to such a level that the computer will still be perfectly up to date?

TheNomad

you'll need a good sound card for recording

yes you can upgrade this comp later

video card isn't that great, get the 6800 GT or x800 or x800 XL (last two from ATI) if you can afford it

badgerer

TheNomad said:
you'll need a good sound card for recording

yes you can upgrade this comp later

video card isn't that great, get the 6800 GT or x800 or x800 XL (last two from ATI) if you can afford it

I've already got an Audiophile 2496 soundcard which is great for me, I've got the entire recording setup, I just need to upgrade my comp as it is very slow these days when dealing with more than 8 or so tracks in my DAW.

I know a fair bit about computers having been around them since about 8 years of age, but the one thing that really confuses me is graphics cards. I can't get my head round them, there seems to be so many different makes i's very confusing.

This web site I'm ordering the computer from only offers a select few: for my Athlon 52 system: 64mb GeForce MX440, 128mb Radeon 9250, 128mb GeForce FX5200, 128mv Radeon 9800SE, and 128mb GeForce 6600. The Athlon 64 PCI-Express based system (whatever that may mean) seems to offer better graphics cards: 128mb Radeon X300SE, 256mb GeForce 6600, and 256mb Radeon X700.

I'm not looking for an uberpowerful graphics machine, just a graphics card that will be comfortably capable of running your Doom 3 or your Half Life 2 (which I believe are amongst the most power-hungry games around). I think the processor, RAM etc is more than capable, but this whole graphics card thing confuses the hell outta me.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
6600 is a good card, its not the best, but its not expensive either. pci-express is the newest graphics card. they're the new agp, and will provide a good upradeablility of graphics in the future :)

badgerer

elmarcorulz said:
6600 is a good card, its not the best, but its not expensive either. pci-express is the newest graphics card. they're the new agp, and will provide a good upradeablility of graphics in the future :)

hm...so PCI-Express is the thing of the future? So would it be best, if I want this computer to last further into the future, that I invest in this PCI-Express now?

badgerer

badgerer said:
hm...so PCI-Express is the thing of the future? So would it be best, if I want this computer to last further into the future, that I invest in this PCI-Express now?

?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
processor Athlon 64 3000+ processor
may want to see if you can afford the jump to dualcore... if not, jack this to a higher model if you can

optical 1 dvdrw (dual layer)
what's the make/model.. have a look at cd/dvd 101.

power supply uprated 500w twin fan PSU
what are the ratings on this PSU? have look at PSU 101.

Chipset SiS 760GX + 965L
Crappiest chipset. Ever. Well almost ... but a very strong candidate

It's ideal since you're buying a new system (since i strong advise AGAINST that mobo) to get a PCIE based board :) AGP is in the process of being phased out and while PCIE in its current incarnation may not survive until your next upgrade whenever that may be, it has a better chance than AGP does.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Chipset SiS 760GX + 965L

I have the model down from this chipset and its not really that good, if your looking at AMD 64 your prob gonna wanna overclock, not a good chipse for that. I have the 964L

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have the model down from this chipset and its not really that good, if your looking at AMD 64 your prob gonna wanna overclock, not a good chipse for that. I have the 964L
The step down is a K8 chipset .. so unless you mean another machine....

TrollyDolly

badgerer said:
I found a very good site (nsysonline.co.uk) where you can build your own custom computer, and I will be recycling keyboard, mouse etc from my old computer. .... If you check out the site http://www.nsysonline.co.uk/Shop/Builder_Systems.asp?BC=346 then you can see if a better deal for my needs is possible. Thanks very much!

Just had to say thanks Badgerer, and others. I went there and got this one:- Athlon 64 Base Unit 3, but with the 3000 processor. Apparently this board takes the 939 CPU (?) and PCIE, so its future proofed with shed loads of upgrade potential. I get attached to my PCs - last one was 12 years old!!!

Had the machine a couple of days now and I am gobsmacked by it - great looks, so quiet and fast.

They were the only company to answer all my e-mails and help me too. So praise where its due. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
processor Athlon 64 3000+ processor
can you find out the codename and socket-type for the processor? either that or the 2nd line as it appears on the chip you're getting
rev-x36o252-optchiptoplg.jpg

optical 1 dvdrw (dual layer)
make and model? :) see cd/dvd 101 for some suggestions.

power supply uprated 500w twin fan PSU
what are the specs on the PSU? have a look at PSU 101 for ideas.

Thats a SiS 760GX chipset if i recall correctly, and SiS make horrible chipsets IMO ... do consider Via's K8T800 or the nForce3-250

Frontside Bus 800MHz
Make sure the CPU is a Socket754 one

Oh and one more thing, what is the upgradeability of this kind of machine? What I mean to say is, 2 years down the line or so, will I be able to add more processing power (it says its upgradeable to Athlon 64 3700+) and RAM to such a level that the computer will still be perfectly up to date?
According to AMD, Socket754 will end as of Sept25, 2005 :)

Considering there's no gaming involved, why spend the money on parts that dont matter

.... bah ... i hate it when i re-reply to stuff ... sigh