Mac Firmware password?

raoul_1101

Member
I know most of you are PC people (as am I), but I'm in a quandary.
At the computer repair shop I work at, we have an iMac. For a while, this iMac was a Kiosk. In order to keep people with fiddling with it, we put a firmware password on it. We recently took it off as a Kiosk. After fiddling, we reimaged the OS with a clean install from our server. However, when there is a firmware password on the machine, we cannot go into target disk mode or boot the the network.
We do have the password, mind you, we're just not sure how to take it back off.

Can anyone give some insight?

EDIT: I have tried the instructions here:
http://www.securemac.com/openfirmwarepasswordprotection.php
but it doesn't boot to the Open Firmware, just right into the OS.
 
Last edited:
Pull out a stick of RAM, power cycle it with the memory configuration changed, zap the PRAM a few times, put the total amount of RAM back in and then netboot
 
Will that permanently remove the firmware password then? We regularly need to put the machine into Target disk mode/boot from our mac server, it would be more than an inconvenience to do it every time.

And thank you much for the help, tlarkin.
 
Will that permanently remove the firmware password then? We regularly need to put the machine into Target disk mode/boot from our mac server, it would be more than an inconvenience to do it every time.

And thank you much for the help, tlarkin.

Yes, it is just like resetting a jumper on a PC to reset the BIOS
 
Back
Top