Major Computer Help!! Please Assist me!

Vogina

New Member
Gateway Laptop
Model#: MT6821
Intel Core 2 CPU; T5200 @ 1.6 GHZ, 2GB
Windows Vista, Service pack 2, 32Bit.
No reboot core CD :(

This is the most chronological way I can describe to you all about what has happened.

First the top of my laptop screen has about a half inch thick to 5 inch wide area of blackness, with a few(what looks as if scratch marks from within the black area) where you can see some color refraction) (i.e if mouse is in area I can see movement of light)

1) DvD burner stopped working.
2) Itunes wiped out twice
3) I.E wont load
4)Adobe Reader/Flash Player stopped working
5)Safari would load but stopped working a couple hours into it; sometimes no problems at all.
6) Shut down and restart without prompted too.
7) Random error messages and "back up your files" messages.

Upon starting PC message says "warning, failure immanent detected, please back up your files" then it directs me to safe mode(s) screen.

I can no longer start normal Windows; it never loads only with the load scroll bar with no end.

I can load safe mode; but that once has not worked for me.

PLEASE HELP! :confused::confused::confused:
 
Sounds like your hard drive may have died. You need to run a drive diagnostic test on it.
 
Definitely the hard drive is dying. Your computer will start doing all sorts of crazy things when the drive starts going, but the giveaway is the fact that it's telling you "failure imminent, back up all files" nothing else other than a failing hard drive will throw that error.
 
Sounds like your hard drive may have died. You need to run a drive diagnostic test on it.

Definitely the hard drive is dying. Your computer will start doing all sorts of crazy things when the drive starts going, but the giveaway is the fact that it's telling you "failure imminent, back up all files" nothing else other than a failing hard drive will throw that error.

Thank you both.

Can I change the hard drive on this model laptop, I tried looking up google but couldn't narrow it down.

If not to the first answer, could I use an external hard drive as a main HDD? Having an OS on the external, and everything else?
 
Most laptop hard drives are pretty interchangeable. You can pick one up at Newegg or most retailers. You'll be looking for what's referred to as either a Notebook hard drive or a 2.5" internal hard drive (desktop drives are the 3.5").
 
Most laptop hard drives are pretty interchangeable. You can pick one up at Newegg or most retailers. You'll be looking for what's referred to as either a Notebook hard drive or a 2.5" internal hard drive (desktop drives are the 3.5").

Afternoon.. After doing some extensive online searching, I feel somewhat more comfortable in this endeavorer.

160 GB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
Supports 2.5-inch hard drives
9.5 mm height
SATA/QUOTE] Specs of HDD prior to taking a look with my eyes

With a failing/failed HDD, any chance of a clone? I already have a back up of all my files, I just am hesitant in losing my O.S.

Is their a program I can download and install in SafeMode(netword) to run a diagnostic on my current HDD, kind of a follow up to first question?

I did some serious research and have saved bookmarks on most troubleshooting problems before getting my hands into this; drivers, bios modes, compatibility, and heat issues.

Other than that. . . I've never done something like this and since i'll be having my hands under her skirt, I'll probably add some new RAM.

Any last thoughts? I'll keep you posted.
 
You download the drive makers disk diagnostic utility and burn it to a cd and then boot to it. No need to access the operating system at all.

What brand of hard drive is it?
 
You download the drive makers disk diagnostic utility and burn it to a cd and then boot to it. No need to access the operating system at all.

What brand of hard drive is it?

Western Digital: WD Scorpio
WD1600B EVS-22RRTO
WD1600BEVS

Serial ATA Hard Drive
DCM: HBCTJBBB

Can you elaborate on what you just said?
 
Go here and download the data lifeguard diagnostic software for your hard drive.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?modelno=WD1600BEVS&x=14&y=4

You can either make a floppy and boot ot it if you have a floppy drive or you can make it into a cd and boot to the cd.

Hey john. So I downloaded the ISO image to a CD.

Diagnostics Bootable CD:
Download the Diag504fCD.zip or Diag504fCD.iso file to your desktop.
Extract the Diag504fCD.zip file to your desktop with a file extraction utility. (Alternately you have the option to download the iso version of the file which does not require extraction with a zip utility).
You will see a new file named Diag504fCD.iso on your desktop.
You must use a CD burning program (such as Nero Burning Rom or EZ-CD Creator) to burn a CD from the .ISO image.
You can now boot the computer to the diagnostics CD. Make sure your boot order in your BIOS is set to boot to the CD-ROM drive first.

I'm having trouble with the highlighted quote. I go into bios and then boot tab, [ENTER] for CDROM drive to boot first, as stated. But then I get this:

"Unable to locate the License Agreement file, DLGLICE.TXT!!!! Please make sure that the License Agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.EXE..."

Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time
 
Redownload the iso again and then try burning it. It could have been corrupted. You could pop the cd in and explore it and see if the license aggreement file is listed on it as well.
 
So scrapping trying to run a diagnostics on the HDD all together; if I am to replace the HDD, would I lose the O.S (windows vista in this case)?

I am just going to buy a replacement.
 
Back
Top