making back up copies of movies

Bigshow1030

Is this illegal to use your dvd rom to put copies of dvd movies on your computer.....is it considered piracy or anything like that?

red onion

IANAL, but I believe you are allowed to make backup copies for your own use, as long as you do not distribute them to others, and as long as you delete them if you lose possession ( give. sell) of the original. I also believe that it is illegal to use decrypting software to break copy protection.. so it appears to be a positively gray area :p

[tab]

[...]
From what I've read it's legal in the US to have a backup copy of software/movies, etc... but I believe it's illegal to circumvent the copy protection on DVDs, so I guess it's illegal.

In Australia it's even illegal to tape stuff from the TV without the express permission of the copyright holder... although everyone does it anyways.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
What is interesting is the language of the laws in the US say it is legal to make two copies of software.. but I believe one of the copies is the actual software being installed onto a single computer.

Everything depends on the EULA (End User Liscense Agreement.. or software license... user license. ). Couldnt remember the name earlier... basically if the EULA says you cannot make a single copy, when you buy the software/dvd/music you are agreeing to those terms.. So the laws, at least in the USA, which states you can make a single additional copy for "archival" purposes, is throw out the window and the EULA takes presedence.

[tab] said:
In Australia it's even illegal to tape stuff from the TV without the express permission of the copyright holder... although everyone does it anyways.

Wow... I bet, there will be a point in time when that too is illegal in the US.