Making Movies

Vinni

I hope someone can help as I have started to reach the point of ripping my hair out over this one... and would love just a tiny bit of guidance from someone in the know.

I am using Adobe Premier Pro to edit my video footage - I have finished my first 'extreme sports action film' (ok, so not so extreme, but nevermind...). Now ALL I want to do is get my movie onto a DVD. I have read numerous articles and this process is not as easy as what they make out!

When I export from adobe back to the camera and then play through the TV that way then I have excellent quality both visually and sound. However my attempts at getting onto a DVD have left me with either poor picture or poor sound.

My first attempt was to render the completed footage as avi format as I thought that this would be the raw, uncompressed version of data - which i then thought I could compress, put onto my dvd authoring program and hey presto!! But infact the .avi footage was really poor quality. (and also took near on 4 hours to render in adobe for 7 mins of footage which seemed a bit excessive considering I'm on a 3.02 Mhz pentium 4 - but thats probably best saved for another thread!).

My next attempt was to use the adobe encoder (I also have another encoder - TMPG) to encode the footage into DVD format (MPEG 2) - the picture I got was excellent but the sound is muffled in places...!! Aaarghhh.

There are just so many options in choosing the different formats, that for someone like me who is just getting into the hobie of making movies, it can become a bit too much and frustrating!

If someone could shed some light on this matter it would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have read numerous articles and this process is not as easy as what they make out!
I'll tell you upfront. It's not easy.

However my attempts at getting onto a DVD have left me with either poor picture or poor sound.
I too have a lot of hassle exporting to DVD so I end up just exporting to high quality AVI and then encoding to DVD separately? Would you be interested in this route or must you use the Adobe encoder?

But infact the .avi footage was really poor quality. (and also took near on 4 hours to render in adobe for 7 mins of footage which seemed a bit excessive considering I'm on a 3.02 Mhz pentium 4 - but thats probably best saved for another thread!).
That's not unreasonable for an export time... depending of course on the length of the movie.

If someone could shed some light on this matter it would be much appreciated!
I find that the most blind-faith-reliable route is to export the video and audio separately as AVI streams, mux them together and do DVD encoding the way I want it done: 3rd party :)

vlad

Hey ! I cannot help you but I can tell you that I have exactly the same problem. I'm waiting for an answer too and I'll give to you as soon as I get it. I hope I'll get it ! 'till now nobody seems to know what is the real problem ! Cheers !

kojo97

i would turn the movies to avi. file and then then use Winavi and convert it to dvd, then burn with nero or you could use Winavi to burn it.

it take me 3 hours to convert 130 min movies and my computer is only 600mhz

i hope this work 4 you